Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Inexpensive Wedding Cake

I am looking for suggestions on inexpensive bakeries.  Cake is not a high priority on my wedding list so I'm trying to do this as reasonable as possible.  I am thinking of doing a small cake with sheet cakes.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  So far I am going to look at Roseville Bakery and PJ Murphy's.  My reception is in Eagan.  Thanks for the help. 

Re: Inexpensive Wedding Cake

• Options
    LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Queen of Cakes is reasonable but a little more expensive than Roseville Bakery (and my husband thought it tasted better too).  Also check out Costco/Sam's.  Maybe you can get a cake to cut and then have sheet cakes for your other guests.  A fun way to do this is to have a (very!) small 6" round cake at the head table with you to cut, then the sheet cakes in the back.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that a great way to save money on wedding cake is going the cup cake route.   My fiance and I went to a tasting at Dorothy Anne's Bakery in Woodbury and we priced cup cakes versus traditional cake, and the cup cakes were  much cheaper.  For 150 guests we are getting 150 cupcakes in a couple of different flavors (which you can't do for a reasonable price in cake) and a 8" round for our traditional cake cutting.

c7_2.jpg

PhotobucketPhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sam's club and Costco's cakes are seriously deeelish!
    We're getting Sam's cupcakes for ours.  Last time I checked it was $12.63 for 30 cupcakes.  I might as well be stealing them they are so cheap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing Sam's sheet cake - my family does it for all major functions and none of the guests ever believe thats where its from! They don't have quite as many options as Buttercream or similar places, not sure if thats important...

We are also going to be making a tiered cake to cut, My MOH did this for her wedding and it looked amazing.  She created three tiers out of styrofoam, on the bottom tier she cut out a section and put in real cake and then she covered the cake in fondant and decorated it.  Looked just like a real cake but cost all together $32.  
    MSP Boards Signature Challenge: You and Your Flower Girl Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    caritraviscaritravis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my cake from Byerlys and it was really reasonable.  We did a smaller cake to cake and then had sheet cakes.  Worked perfectly and CHEAP.
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Just do a floating tiers cake of the different Sam's 12" flavored cakes...  The thing to remember is that you've got to be responsible for having them set up, but hey, it'll be cheap...  Or if you want to go cheaper yet, just get pepperidge farm frozen cakes from the grocery store and set one on each table.  If you purchase square plates, it still works out to less than $10 per table spent on cake and it'll be super yummy...  Also, check with the grocery store bakery AND your caterer, they may offer cheap options for your dessertsuch as your caterer including it or a minimal charge for it with the price then just get a small cake to put on the head table for you to do your cutting with.   Rainbow sells a sheet size box with a strawberry filled cake that's super cheap and yummy - we used it for DD's birthday cake a couple years ago and it worked perfect - and it tastes better than Sams/Walmart cake IMNSHO...   

The design you choose with a bakery is really what is going to determine the outcome of the pricing.  If you go with something that's super simple for that baker to make (just rough iced and stacked) then purchase some gumpaste flower arrangements from Lynn's Cake & Candy Supplies for them to put on when they deliver it, you'll have a beautiful and delish wedding cake without going to a huge expense...  The design is where the cost of the cake is.  Also, watch out because some places have a significantly smaller sheet cake portion than wedding cake portion so when you work it out geometry to price a lot of places actually charge MORE per inch of cake for a sheet than they do for their same portion of mulitiple layered filled wedding cake.  Also, consider kitchen cakes which are the same portion of cake as a wedding slice just not decorated as an option.  Again, the decorating time is where the cost of the cake is..
  • Options
    golden1215golden1215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with a baker I've known for awhile, Jeff Perila.  He has done the cakes for lots of our special events (daughter's baptism, bachelorette party cupcakes etc)- he starts at $3/person for tiered cake and probably a bit less for sheet/back-up/cardboard filling levels.  I know that's not the cheapest you can find but his stuff is AMAZING and he'll deliver for like $20 bucks.  That $3 includes mousse or flavored fillings too. 

http://sweettreatsbyjeff.com/weddings.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can get a really pretty and tasty wedding cake made at Byerly's! Also if you get your cake made their they make a a complimentary replica of your top layer on your one year anniversary. (at least they used to). Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards