Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Photographer recommendations

Hi everyone! So I thought I knew who I wanted as a photographer but I'm second guessing it. I have two options I've been considering - a girl from high school that is pretty good (and her prices are great!) or a distant cousin. I'd love for the cousin to do the photos but he hasn't responded to me yet and it may get spendy since we'd have to fly him out here from Maryland. My dad can fly him for cheap but I'm not sure what he would charge above that.

So now I'm asking you ladies to see what recommendations you have! I have the problem that we're both really picky about photography, but we don't have a very high budget. I'm looking for high quality for around $1000. I know it's asking a lot but maybe you all might know something I haven't seen? I'd love two photographers, but obviously I know that adds to the cost. The wedding is March 23, 2013 in Minneapolis.

Things we really want or need:
-High quality.
-Around $1000.
-Disc of photos with printing rights.
-Prefer no hourly charge or hour limits, as we'd like them to be around most of the day. Not sure about the timeline but I want them there while getting ready until a little bit into the reception. Might be around 8 hours.
-Engagement session (preferably cheap).
-Someone who is fun, engaging and artistic.

I know, I'm asking a lot for the price. But let me know if you can think of anything! Thanks in advance!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Follow Me on Pinterest
Planning Bio

Re: Photographer recommendations

• My photographer has all that (including two people and free e-pics) but they run $2,000...if you want their full info send me a PM and I can get you their info!  They post quite a few pics on Facebook - Harvest Moon Photography.
  • You should really check into Chelsey Marie Photography... she has some great packages for around $1,000 where you can get 2 photographers! We went with her and our e-pics turned out AMAZING - I can't wait to see what she does for our wedding!

http://www.chelseymariephotography.com/
  • I love our photographer's photos.  He is $1,200.  In the first meeting, he came off a little arrogant.  For example, he said he could easily charge $4,000, but didnt for several reasons.  Though, I admit, I hired him because I did think he was good and what we wanted for photographs, AND was affordable.  I'm hoping maybe he just came off that way in an initial meeting but will be less like that on the wedding day.  We are going with Mark Palas Photography.  www.markpalasphotography.com Like I said, I do love his photos, and I thought he was very reasonably priced.
    Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.
  • Check out Elise from Elisabeth Ann Photography. www.elisabethannphotography.com

We used her and she was wonderful. Her packages start at $1300, but we got her down to about $1000 by knocking off the engagement session and print credits. Also, if you mention the "Thank you" discount she knocks off some more (I got an email a while ago, but I can't remember how much it is).

We love love loved her, and I know a lot of knotties have used her (that's where we got the recommendation). She also comes with 2 photographers.

Good luck!
  • We're using Troy Kivel with Pixelposey, but I remember during my search that Kara Knutson was fairly reasonable.
    Halloween
  • Kara Knutson is every single thing you are looking for!

I have some pics of my wedding in Jan if you want to see her work from an actual client.

LINK
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_photographer-recommendations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:9d893101-2956-4df0-ae07-42fd8d1b7c8bPost:b074bf5a-544e-4563-89a7-e418cf93c342">Re: Photographer recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kara Knutson is every single thing you are looking for! I have some pics of my wedding in Jan if you want to see her work from an actual client. LINK
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

Wow, those are great and my jaw dropped at the price! I'd love to see what she did for your wedding if you don't mind, let me know how I can see those! Thanks everyone for the recommedations, all are wonderful and give me a lot to think about!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • My photographer meets ALL of your requirements :)

$1077 for:
    *An engagement session (+1 other session of your choosing)
    *2 Photographers on your wedding day
    *All the rights to all of your images in Hi-Res on a disc
    *Unlimited time for all of your photo sessions (we had them at our wedding from 9am-10:30pm)
    *$100 print credit 
    *Beautiful pictures

Both my siggy pic and avatar were taken by them.  You can see more pictures in my married bio. 

Good luck!
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_photographer-recommendations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:9d893101-2956-4df0-ae07-42fd8d1b7c8bPost:8034fb52-3e77-4de8-bc47-c3f4bc4d8d89">Re: Photographer recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]My photographer meets ALL of your requirements :) <a href="http://www.imagenbyalexdeltoro.com" rel="nofollow">www.imagenbyalexdeltoro.com</a> $1077 for: *An engagement session (+1 other session of your choosing) *2 Photographers on your wedding day *All the rights to all of your images in Hi-Res on a disc *Unlimited time for all of your photo sessions (we had them at our wedding from 9am-10:30pm) *$100 print credit  *Beautiful pictures Both my siggy pic and avatar were taken by them.  You can see more pictures in my married bio.  Good luck!
    Posted by MaggieandJake[/QUOTE]

Ooh, those are nice too and the price is also awesome! Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • I would recommend Sarah Ciccone.  I thought I had her pricing but I can't find it, but if I remember correctly she was like $1200 for everything you want.  Here is some of her work, http://www.facebook.com/sarahcicconephotography and her website http://www.sarahcicconephotography.net/ I think she is the most talented photographer in your price range! 
  • I'm using Imagen as well, same as MaggieandJake.  I loved our e-pics, and though we haven't had our wedding photos yet, I feel very confident that they'll be excellent!  I'd recommend looking into them, especially instead of friends or family.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Jennipea- I pmed you my email address.  You'll have to email me because I don't know how to attach pics in a PM.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_photographer-recommendations-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:9d893101-2956-4df0-ae07-42fd8d1b7c8bPost:29eb18ee-857a-417e-b550-4dd996bf9663">Re: Photographer recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jennipea- I pmed you my email address.  You'll have to email me because I don't know how to attach pics in a PM.
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I sent you an email! My FI looked at her pictures and loved them! Her style is something we really like. Excited to see a real client's pictures! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Hippolover, you have a PM! Thanks:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards