Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Declines...

Does anyone else get depressed when people RSVP no.  I am shocked when my family who said they were coming are sending back declines.  Especially since they are special in our lives!  How many declines have you gotten?  We invited 250 and so far 125 said yes and 24 said no.  We have to hear from 75 more people but in the last 3 days, I have got 5 RSVP with nos.  So sad to me!Frown
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Declines...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I sent out my Save the Dates and got a decline- it does kind of bum me out too! I think it's hard not to take it a little personally since it is the biggest day our our lives so far and we invited those that are important in our lives. I hope I can get thicker skin about it before the invites go out!
  • Options
    laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen a lot of posts where the bride is excited to get declines because it's one less mouth to feed. I haven't sent out the invites yet, so I can't tell which way I feel about it yet. Try to look at the bright side of life!
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, we've gotten a LOT more declines than expected :-(. We also have a lot of people who have yet to RSVP (like 30) even though our RSVP date was May 15th.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally get sad when I find out someone isn't coming.  Even for my bach party it makes me sad.  :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We pretty much knew who would come and who would decline so it wasn't a big surprise when we got them in the mail.  We only got 1 that was surprising which was FI's really good friend he lived with for 2 years and he didn't even say why they couldn't make it.  They are getting married this summer too and thought they'd attend for sure.
  • Options
    LolaBelle515LolaBelle515 member
    edited December 2011
    There were definitely some disappointments, but in the end, it's so overwhelming how many people really are there to celebrate you...that's more than enough.  We invited 255 and had 180 total in the end.

What I was really sad about though was the 10 people who rsvpd's yes and didn't show up to the wedding.  Every bride I've talked to has had at least a few no shows...sometimes, they don't even tell you what happened.  We knew about 4 of ours 2 days before the wedding...the other 6, maybe we'll never know:( Something to aware of in advance though...no time to even look at the placecard table to see it the day of, so ignore and it and celebrate with those who are there! 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    drdifabiodrdifabio member
    edited December 2011
    I could see getting disappointed with some people, but overall I think I will be one of those brides who is okay with it because it is one less person to feed as the PP said. I am also going to try my best to not take it personally. I am marring Joe no matter who is there so I have told myself that I will be happy with the guestlist no matter who attends.
  • Options
    LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had mixed feelings getting a decline.  Keep in mind that 30% declines are pretty standard - not all 100% of your guest list will come to your wedding.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    izzyjenniizzyjenni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know!  My mom said the most "honest" thing to me and I take that as how I am feeling now...if it was just David and I along with our immediate family there, we would all have a wonderful time.  It is about my FI and I committing to one another in our church under God and becoming husband and wife.  I am truly excited to marry him and that is what is most important. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I'll be okay with it.. like PP said, it's one less person to feed.

My mom just told me she's planning on going to visit her family in Florida for Thanksgiving (our wedding is November 7th.)  I'm pretty sure most of her family won't make the trip up here for the wedding, then.  It sucks; I haven't seen them in awhile and I was hoping the wedding would be a good excuse to get everyone together.  Oh well.

Another "plus"- you'll have more one-on-one time with the guests who DO come!
  • Options
    KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had over 50% decline since the majority of our guests are OOT.  And yeah, it's less people to feed... BUT we have a food and beverage minimum to meet at the venue.  So, if we don't add more food for each person, we just write a check for money not used.  Not what we want.

Everyone coming has to eat their weight in food and drink their weight in beverages.  LOL.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    50%?! Ok, I'm getting a little freaked out now...
  • Options
    zephyr_mariezephyr_marie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've definitely been a little bummed by the declines, even though I can understand that it's mostly because they're OOT guests, and it's a long distance to travel and times are hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards