Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Non-cheesy shower games?

So my MOH just warned me that my mom has been telling her about her plans for some pretty awful shower games for my upcoming shower. She is trying to find some alternatives to tell my mom about in order to let mom down gently that her ideas aren't so great, lol.

Sooo...any ideas for fun shower games that aren't completely embarrassing for me and not completely cheesy? Or know of any sites where I might find some??

TIA!

Re: Non-cheesy shower games?

• Options
    kkaew816kkaew816 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What kind of cheesiness does she have in mind?

ETA: I begged my mom no games, who knows what she and my sister will come up with!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My shower was last weekend and here are the games we did:

When you came in the door you had to cut a piece of yarn.  Then when everyone got there you had to wind the yarn around your finger and tell a story about the bride or groom till the yarn was all wound up.

They had a heart container with MM's in our wedding colors and you had to guess the amount.

Guess the famous couple: There were 2 couples names with missing letters and you had to fill in the letters:  e.g.  K_T_E & _O_  Katie & Tom

IMHO you shouldn't have any say in the games you play as the bride.....

• Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    edited December 2011
    I know I shouldn't have any say, but MOH wasn't having any luck, so I figured I'd ask my trusty MN knotties! I'd be totally fine with no games at all, to be honest, lol. Clearly, that won't happen.

PS: Every time someone writes "ETA", all I think of is "estimated time of arrival"...my mom worked for the airlines for MANY years, lol.
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So toilet paper wedding gowns are out?

We didn't do  any games out ours, although my family did put on a shotgun wedding sit (complete with my uncle in drag as the cigar-smoking, whiskty-drinking pregnat bride).  I guess that might fall under cheesy.  Or at least hillbilly.

How about the one where someone walks around with a tray of kitchen items and leaves.  Then everyone has to write everything they remember about what the "waitress" was wearing?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The only game my aunts know is the dice game. I hate that game because it's so boring, but it'll probably happen at my shower. Oh well. Anyway, here's how it's played: 
    Materials:
    ~10 wrapped up gifts (like a candle, a notepad, cheap things like that)
    2 tin pie pans (or plates, or whatever)
    4 dice
     How to play:
    Put 2 dice in each pie plate. People take turns rolling them. If they get doubles, they take a gift and roll again. If they don't get doubles, they pass the plate. The plates go in opposite directions. Once all the gifts have been taken, whoever has them unwraps them. A timer is set for 5 minutes (or whatever). Continue playing as before except that now you can steal gifts from other people. When the timer goes off, you get to keep whatever gift you have. The end!

Also, I totally agree on thinking of ETA as estimated time of arrival. I know it means you edited something, but what do the letters actually stand for?
  • Options
    LolaBelle515LolaBelle515 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a shower game fan either:)

At my shower, we played the trivia game, which I personally think is fun at showers since people get to know the couple a little better and they don't have to DO anything.  Well, almost anything--have your mom or MOH ask your FI over the phone questions about you or questions about him. See how many you get right at the shower.  The guest who "wins" is the one who guesses how many you will get right.  Basically, the newlywed game...

(I must admit, as much as I hate dressing up in toilet paper, it is WAY better than tasting baby food at baby showers!!!)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    edited December 2011
    LOL ef!! I don't know what they stand for in this context either!! 

HK: the toilet paper bride is exactly what my mom was wanting to do...hello...what a waste!

I think the shotgun wedding skit sounds hilarious!!

Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • Options
    jtothelee216jtothelee216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At my shower last weekend we did the trivia (newlywed) game mentioned above and the dice game.  Personally, I thought the trivia game was fun but found the dice game really boring. 
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could provide a video of the shotgun wedding skit, should you have some adventurous friends and want some ideas.  It was a lot of fun, and something we'll definitely remember for a long time.  Is it girls only or will there be guys there, too?  

Offhand, there's an improve comedy game that might work for this if you have enough people.

1. Have a group of people draw charater names out of a hat.  Then have them leave the room and create a costume using some random props or household items. 

2. Have the other people write down random phrases on pieces of paper and scatter them around the room in plain site.

3.  Have the first group come back in and go through a shotgun wedding.  As they go, they have to pick up the pieces of paper and say what's on it.  The funny part is when they try to work it into the skit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The newlywed game is so much fun, and I hate shower games.  We did it at my friends shower in January and it was a blast!
    PhotobucketPhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    shameless_adshameless_ad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have also played the "couple game" where you have to guess the other name - similar to the couples game above, but you're give one name (ex: Cinderella and __________).

The other game I have is the cake game, where you have to guess the type of cake from the clue.  Example: Cake that's eaten in heaven.  Angel food cake. 

For both these games, the person who gets the most right wins.

I have word documents of both of these if anyone is interested.  Just PM me with your email address.  It may take me some time to find them, but I know I have them somewhere!
    Bio - Updated 7/25/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 284 Invited image 182 Attending image 96 Declined image 6 Not yet replied
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did a fun game at my shower last summer.

The host of the party asked everyone to take a paper plate and a marker.  Then when she said go everyone had one minute to put the paper plate on top of their head and the draw (on top of the paper plate, on top of their head) what they thought I would look like on the big day.  I was then the judge and had to choose the winner.   They were all pretty horendous, but at least it was fun!

Did that make sense?  I can't figure out how to describe that better...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

A friend of mine told me about a game where someone had cut pictures of celebs in wedding gowns out of magazines and then cut the faces off. These were all laminated. Guests were supposed to match the dress with the celebrity. I guess it was a hit.

Photobucket
  • Options
    debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_non-cheesy-shower-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:c7c8597c-051b-4341-9bdf-621ff9abcbc3Post:b4454d24-aca8-4666-98f2-2dd5835294f2">Re: Non-cheesy shower games?</a>:
    [QUOTE]PS: Every time someone writes "ETA", all I think of is "estimated time of arrival"...my mom worked for the airlines for MANY years, lol.
    Posted by Bimbi284[/QUOTE]

<div>Me too!!!</div><div>
    </div><div>What does "ETA" mean in Knottie-world?</div>
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    shameless_adshameless_ad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ETA = Edited To Add
    Bio - Updated 7/25/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 284 Invited image 182 Attending image 96 Declined image 6 Not yet replied
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_non-cheesy-shower-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:c7c8597c-051b-4341-9bdf-621ff9abcbc3Post:1a7b064c-f1f0-43e8-9dac-cad0f01bd387">Re: Non-cheesy shower games?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ETA = Edited To Add
    Posted by shameless_ad[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you! That has always bugged me. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards