Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Searching for a Real Estate Lawyer

My husband bought our house before we were married.  We want to add my name to the deed now.  Can anyone recommend a real estate lawyer in Plymouth or surrounding suburbs?

Re: Searching for a Real Estate Lawyer

• Options
     No reccommendations from me - we got DH onto the deed for my house when we refinanced so I'm not much help!  Good luck though.

I am just a bit curious about why you want to put your name on there?  It was my understanding that in MN, you legally become half owner of a house once you're married, no matter who's name it is under.  I could be wrong though! 
  • Options
    I happened to be lurking on here today.  You are correct wittyschaffy, it is MN law that once a couple is married, even if both parties aren't named on the deed, you are both considered owners of the home. 
  • Options
    It is considered law that once you become married you are half owner of the home and the ONLY way to put your name on the deed of the house is to refinance your home because technically (unless you owe the house full out and don't have a mortage) whom ever is on the mortage are technically the only names that can be on the deed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards