Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

How long did it take to get your marriage certificate back?

Now that we are all married, I am waiting impatiently to get the marriage certificate back so that I can start doing all the name change stuff. I know they say up to 3 weeks, but how long did it take in reality for you marrieds?

Any advice to make the whole name change process easier? Should I be dreading my trip to the SS office as much as I am? TIA!

Re: How long did it take to get your marriage certificate back?

• amberh0515amberh0515 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got our certificate from Washington county. It took about 10 days to get.
    I went to the SS office at 8:45, waited in line until they opened, and was out by 9:10. Go early if you can!
    I also changed most of my credit cards even before I got my license. Most didn't even need it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kristigileskristigiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got ours in less than a week.  It was in the mailbox when we got back from the honeymoon.  The SS office is intimidating and the lines are long, but it really does go fast.  We had about 100 people in front of us when we got there and it took less than an hour.  Good luck!
    August 14, 2010 image*PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • VeittobeVeittobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think ours took less than week to get to us.  I was surprised how quickly we received it.  We made the mistake of going to the social security office around 11am.  Not wise.  We were there for an hour and 10 minutes.  But it was good people watching.  :)
    Mike and Kelly 10.01.10
    MSP Signature Challenge:Favorite Registry Item=Wine Cellar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BIO!! Updated 06/20/10

• edited December 2011
    We got married on 09/25/10 and our officiant mailed the paperwork in right away.  By the 12th of October we still hadnt received our certificate back.  Since my husband works downtown, he just stopped over at the office and they had it right there waiting to go out.  
  • debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Elizabeth, we got married on the same day as you and we just got ours in the mail yesterday (10/22). So it was less than a week -- and we live in Chicago. MN has their act together, apparently.
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got off the phone with someone at the Hennepin County Service Center, because the speediness of Debbie's frightened me (since my wedding was 6 days before hers!) and I wanted to check on mine.

The woman said they're currently in the process of stamping and sending out certificates from the 9th and 10th... and she actually had mine on her desk at the very moment I called (uncanny, no...?)

She said that a lot of times, judges that officiate will drop the signed certs off in person, which bypasses a lot of the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards