Ohio-Columbus

Columbus Athenaeum Brides

So i was just wondering what everyone is doing. I just had my initial meeting with them and I am curious to see what everyone else is doing.

We are having our reception in the large theater next november, planning on around 200 guest (inviting around 240) Our colors are black, white and fuschia we plan on doing white tea length linens with half fuschia table runners and half damask table runners, with their hurricane and pillar candles. we have not had our food tasting and I am super excited for that :)

does anyone have their vendors picked out yet? I was wondering if you were going to use their prefered or just pay the 300 dollar deposit.

Re: Columbus Athenaeum Brides

• casims3casims3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! We are having our ceremony in the Macedonian room and our reception in the grand ballroom. My reception isn't until December and I've change my mind like 3 times already...but right now we are planning on doing black chair covers with dark silver organza type sashes, and then black table cloths. Right now we are also planning on doing silver sparkley table runners (its NYE!) but the ones we want only come in the smaller width, so we have to do them in an X pattern, which I can't decide if I like or not. We are having our florist design the centerpieces, so we might just be using their tea lights.

I haven't been to any of the tastings yet, but a friend of my mom went to a wedding there recently and said the food was amazing!

As for the vendors, I think the only ones I am using on their preferred list is the cake (The Cake Studio) and the photobooth. We know the owner of the Cake Studio though so we would have used her regardless. We are also using the guy they recommend for the alochol (beer and wine.)

Who are you working with? We are working with Gina and I really like her.

I'm excited to hear what everyone else is doing! We still have a lot of details to work out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am working with Ann and i don't know what I think about her. I just feel like everytime I talked to her about what I wanted she was like that would definitely be an up charge. I wanted to say well duh I know I just want to know how much. But she seemed fairly nice other than that.
  • casims3casims3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm..I don't know if I have heard anything about Ann. My FMIL is in a job where she negotiates for a living..so she somehow managed to negotiate a few things in for us. 

I just noticed you have over a year til your wedding...I miss the calm feeling over having over a year to plan. It feels like I was at that point yesterday and now I'm at the 5 month mark..crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Combs132Combs132 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm working with Ann.  My wedding reception is in the ballroom on October 1st - we invited about 450 people (about 300 of whom I wanted.... side bar), hoping to sweet heavens that only about 350 show up.  As for decorations, as of now I am doing white linens with a deep eggplant runner on each table.  The tea lights and round mirrors will be on all tables.  My florist has 2 different floral centerpieces and then I'm using Athenaeum's 3 cylinder floating candle center pieces for the other 1/3 of the tables.  I am also just using their little table numbers.

For vendors, we just paid the deposit - it's completely worth it to get who you want.  And most all of my vendors say they work with the Athenaeum all the time, so they are used to the strict set-up and tear down rules.

I am fairly obsessed with their food.  You only get 1 food tasting, so I probably wouldn't do it for a while if I was you since your wedding is still a ways to go.  It's a really cool/unique tasting so I can give you more info if needed.

I haven't figured Ann out 100% either, but I think overall she just doesn't want you to waste money where it's not needed.  She tried to talk me out of a raised head table, but my bridal party is 18 people total and I said no way in heck am I doing one huge line.  So just be firm if you want to add something on.  I did get her to throw a few things in for me, but we are also spending tons of money on a huge reception, soo she was pretty willing to do so.

Probably the thing I dislike the most is the chair covers.  Obviously with 350+++ people, we cannot afford spending an extra $6-8 bucks per chair and I think their chairs are a little ugly :( Oh well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah when I first got my proposal I was all for the speical linen package for 12.95 a person. I thought it was amazing and then I saw how much that actually cost and I decided it was not worth the 1800 dollars, so I will deal with the chairs I figure it will be dark and no one will notice or remember the chairs. I totally agree with the 300 dollar deposit, I think that is what we are doing because especially their cakes vendors are like 4 dollars a slice and that photobooth is really expensive for what i want, so i would rather hope to get the 300 dollars back.

Good luck to you. under 5 months!!!
  • pharmgirl1024pharmgirl1024 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since we just signed a contract with them, I have not had my initial details meeting yet. However, I do kind of have an idea of what I want. We're doing the chair covers and most likely runners, but I'm not sure what color yet. We're planning on using black and burnt orange as our colors, but I have to figure out a way to make it not look like Halloween because we're getting married in October. I think we're going to go with the hurricane/mirror set up for centerpieces so I can save money on flowers.

As far as vendors, I'm using one of their djs. I've known Ryan Smith for a few years and he's awesome. I haven't decided about the cake and flowers yet since I'm just getting started. I've heard so many good things about other vendors that are not on their preferred list that I feel like it might be worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our wedding is Oct. 1st in the Athenian room. We have Ann as well. So far I think we are doing white table cloths with a lavandar runner (I may take that out though) and I found some awesome cute dried flowers for the center. We had a taste test as well but have not decide on the menu quite yet. We both like the meatball bar thoug. I don't think any of our vendors are on the list but we were ok with that since we really like who we found. Their vendors are really good too I hear. I agree the chairs are ugly but we are not going to get the covers b/c of the cost. oh well right!?
  • Combs132Combs132 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_columbus-athenaeum-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:112Discussion:7ef06393-fed3-4752-8f8f-64d05ab8ad66Post:1df3eb3d-383a-428f-a74a-4fced292d383">Re: Columbus Athenaeum Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding is Oct. 1st in the Athenian room. We have Ann as well. So far I think we are doing white table cloths with a lavandar runner (I may take that out though) and I found some awesome cute dried flowers for the center. We had a taste test as well but have not decide on the menu quite yet. We both like the meatball bar thoug. I don't think any of our vendors are on the list but we were ok with that since we really like who we found. Their vendors are really good too I hear. I agree the chairs are ugly but we are not going to get the covers b/c of the cost. oh well right!?
    Posted by christie311[/QUOTE]

I loved the meatball bar too - we picked that as one of our appetizers!! And oh well to the ugly chairs :) I'm sure all of us will look so gorgeous that no one will pay attention at all :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah agreed it will be dark and no one will care about the chairs, but it took me a lot of persuding to not get them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards