Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Ring Appraisal

I have been engaged for over 2 months now and we still haven't done a ring appraisal. Do you have any recommendations as to where we should go? I really want to make sure I get my ring insured soon!
Halloween

Re: Ring Appraisal

• Options
    Where did you get the ring? My FI got mine at Jared and they did the appraisal for us for free, so maybe check with the jewelry the ring came from first to see if they can do it for you.

Also, if you're getting your ring insurance added to something like homeowners insurance, be sure you read all the fine print. We had mine insured on our homeowners insurance, but because my name isn't on the house deed, it turned out that once he gave the ring to me it was no longer insured! Once we are married my name automatically gets added, but until then we had to get a separate policy to make sure it was insured.
  • Options
    Yeah, I just got the appraisal from Arthur's Jewelers and added a policy onto our renter's insurance. I made sure that it was covered in full whether it was stolen or just lost, whether I was at home or traveling somewhere.

If you got the ring from a place that doesn't do appraisals, I think most jewelers would do one for under $100.
  • Options

I just changed my insurance company to State Farm...while my ring and most other jewelry had appraisals, I had a few pieces that didn't.  They gave me a voucher to a local place they partner with for a free appraisal.  Maybe your insurance company will offer the same service?

• Options
    FI purchased the setting at Helzberg, but the center diamond is an heirloom from my grandma.
    Halloween
  • Options
    My fiance only had to print the info from the jewelers website.... So when he pulled my ring up on the computer it had the cut, clarity, carat and the price with a reciept showing what he paid and that's all they needed! He just faxed it right to his insurance and it was a done deal!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    arenoareno member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I had my appraisal done at Cannon Gem Appraisal in Eagen.  Harry is the owner and the guy that will do the appraisel and he is wonderful.  At first I was pretty nervouse to just drop my ring off somewhere but a good friend of mine recommended him.  He is very flexible with your schedule and gets your ring back to you the same day.  He even asked if I just wanted to stay there and wait, I couldn't since I had to go back to work. He also took professional pictures of my ring and sent those to me seperatly so I could share them with family that is out of state and haven't seen my ring in person.

Depending on your setting and how many other diamonds you may have one the ring, the cost can vary.  I have lots of side diamonds as well as my center stone and the cost was $85, which I don't think is bad at all.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    My ring is from Wedding Day...any one had experience with them and obtaining information that would substitute for an appraisal?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I had mine appraised at Wedding Day for free which is where FI bought my ring. It took 10 minutes. Easy peesy!
    *spoiled to the bone*
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards