Missouri-Kansas City

Catering?

Hi guys,
I'm crunching numbers tonight for my favorite reception site so far, Kauffman Center. I have to use the in-house caterer there (Ararmark), and I'm expecting 300 guests.

The thing is, now that I've crunched numbers, the catering seems so expensive. It comes to $64/person when I factor appetizers, dinner and wine/beer bar. The wine/beer bar is $22.50/person. With that price along with the bartender fees, the beer/wine bar is actually a higher price in total than the plated entrees.

Am I crazy? Now that I've crunched these numbers, the catering just seems so expensive. I'm not sure if the $22.50/person for a wine/beer bar is typical?

I'd just like to hear some thoughts. Thank you!

Re: Catering?

• That does seem a little high compared to some venues I checked out that offered alcohol, especially if it's not a full bar!  If spirits were included I could understand that price. 
  • Yes, that is the beer/wine bar price - not the full bar! I just checked my materials again.

It is technically a higher price than food because of this: The $22.50/person is for hosting the wine/beer bar. You have a separate charge per hour for each bartender. I came up with the price of $27/person for the grand total price for the bar, with the $22.50/person plus bartender fees.

There is actually only one available entree that is higher than $27/person. So the alcohol really is more expensive than all plated dinners, with one exception.

Hmmm. Well, thank you for helping me realize that this DOES seem high. I hadn't crunched numbers yet for catering costs, so it was a surprise to me at first, too! 

Thanks
  • The Kauffman Performing Arts Center is my reception venue!!  We're doing the beer and wine package as well for 5 hours.  I think you'll find price is comparable to other venues like the downtown hotels and convention centers.  I had some experience working with Aramark (their caterer) before and they are great!   

I'm working on now the food for the cocktail hour, with what is left in the budget for it! 
  • My reception is at the Sheraton Overland Park and beer/wine is $25/pp for four hours so I guess that is about right.  Alcohol packages have given me the most sticker shock during this whole process. 
  • I guess it just seems so high to me because I ended up being able to bring my own alcohol in and had bottled beer, wine, champagne, and top shelf alcohols, and it ended up only being just over $10/person.  I guess if someone went out to a bar downtown and had 4-5 drinks it would cost about $20-25, so it makes sense. 
  • Who did you use for catering?
  • Oh! No one yet. Cool We're still deciding on a venue, but I was looking at the approved caterers for our (so far) favorite venue, which is where my question came from!
  • We are using "V's Italian Restaurant" in Independence, MO.  They have been around for a really long time and their food is devine!  They have some buffet options that range from $11.00 (two entree's, veggie, salad and rolls) all the way to $20.00's.  Either way, we LOVE their food and we are getting the lasagna & baked chicken and rolls and salad and a veggie and we are having two wait staff with the contract, the buffet supplies come with (chaffing dishes..etc..) and the linens and skirting are all included all we pay for is the amount per person.  (our package is the $11.00 something-ish per person). Anyway, having NOT to pay for the "extra's" and having fabulous food was WAAAY worth it to us!  
  • Ok - so, just totallu realized that you were discussing ALCOHOL!  Ooops!  Sorry :(  (I had good intentions..)
  • I'm using black on Burlington and they allow you to bring your own alcohol, for 150 people it's going to be just over 1000 from gomers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards