Missouri-Kansas City

NWR - I'm moving to your area!

Hi Kansas City Ladies!My fiance recently got transferred for his job to KC.  I'll be moving when our house here (Wisconsin) sells.  We're moving there having never even visited, so we're starting to look at places we'd be interested in living.  We're thinking we'd like to be in a smaller community with about a 30 minute drive to KC.  We're also hoping it can be on the way back to WI, so a little shorter drive for our frequent trips back.  My fiance mentioned something about Smithville (sp?) or Edgerton?  We're both from towns of about 5,000 people and love that size.  Do you have any recommendations?  I really appreciate it! TIA!

Re: NWR - I'm moving to your area!

• kar45kar45 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to KC! I'm not sure if you are talking about Edgerton Kansas, but I work in the Gardner-Edgerton community. You are correct, it is definitely on the small side, but is right off a main highway and has very easy access to Kansas City. It is not closer to WI though. You can get a really nice house for a lower budget there too. I Hope that helps a little!
  • babbles270babbles270 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That does help, and yes, I think it is Edgerton KS.  I'm all a mess with this.  :) 
  • wilburncwilburnc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Gardner and love it.  It is only 5 miles south of Olathe and is big enough and has everything that you might need and the city is only 10 minutes north...depending on where you live in the town.  It is on the south side of KC, but it is right on I-35 and it is a great community.  My FI and I bought a house here last November.  We had looked in Lenexa, Olathe, and Overland Park as well, but we really liked Gardner, and we could get a much nicer house for the $$.  If your going to go that route.....I would look at Gardner before Edgerton.  Edgerton is even farther and it is a VERY small town, and the commute would be longer.  I may be biased since I live in Gardner, but I think it is much nicer than Edgerton.  I grew up in a town of about 1000 and I think Gardner has a great small town feel.
  • sstarasstara member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you and your fiance are going to be working on the Missouri side I would suggest living on the Missouri side.  I grew up in Kansas and have worked in Missouri and my taxes are always a pain in the a$$ because I have to file both KS and MO state taxes.  Just a thought.  Smithville is a nice town.  My brother was born there!  They have a great lake and great schools.  It is a pretty easy commute to downtown.  You can also look into Kearney, MO.  Again, they have fantastic schools there and about a 30 minute commute to downtown.  Hope that helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • babbles270babbles270 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all your input!  He'll actually be working on the KS side, but for some reason, we're drawn to MO! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards