Missouri-Kansas City

Narrowing the reception site list...

Hi Everyone,

I live out of state and need some help narrowing the list of reception sites to visit while in KC.  Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated!

Terrace on Grand (ceremony and reception)
Loose Mansion (reception only)
Longview Mansion (ceremony and reception)
Oread Hotel--Lawrence (ceremony and reception)
Hotel Phillips (ceremony)
Powell Gardens (ceremony and reception)
Hawthorne House (ceremony and reception)
Hillcrest Country Club (ceremony and reception)
The WynBrick Event center (ceremony and reception)
Meadowview Gardens (ceremony and reception)
Adams Point Golf Club (ceremony and reception)

If I'm overlooking somewhere fabulous please let me know!  Basically I want an outdoor ceremony and an interesting reception site that is as all inclusive as possible, but will allow some playful details such as a taco bar :-) 

Re: Narrowing the reception site list...

• kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have picked some great venues!  I am having my wedding at Loose Mansion.  They only do in house catering, so you'd have to talk to the chef about your taco bar, but I have found they are pretty flexible and can do almost anything!  The staff there is amazing and Loose Park is nearby for an outdoor ceremony.  Longview mansion is also gorgeous, I checked them out as well, but they didn't have my date available.
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Wynbrick is pretty, but don't let them lie to you, it CAN NOT hold more than like 40 people comfortably, at most! I considered going with them and I'm so glad I didn't, a friend of mine got married there last year. While it was beautiful, it was very confusing (as a guest) to know where to go, we actually were a couple minutes late and accidentally walked out in front of the wedding party because we didn't know, eek! I actually confirmed this with the bride and groom, there weren't more than 50 people there, and there wasn't enough room outside for everyone to sit and watch the ceremony (like I said, we were late so we had to stand in the back). It was also SO packed inside during dinner, I was crammed into a corner and had to actually climb over people to get out of my seat, lol. And not everybody was inside, several people were sitting outside for dinner! It's something that I really want brides to know. The owners tell you "oh, we can EASILY accomodate like 100-150 people!" But they really can't.

Adams Pointe Golf Club was where we considered having our wedding reception. They don't really have an outdoor area to do a ceremony. They have a patio that they say you can use, but it's weird looking, doesn't have a great view, and I don't know how many people you could realistically put out there for a ceremony. They DO, however, have great deals for their reception! When I originally went, they had a deal where if you spent $2,000 in food and beverages, the venue, linens, everything, was free. If you have your heart set on an outdoor wedding, there is a beautiful park with gazebo one exit west of Adams Pointe, called Rotary Park. Good luck! :)
  • edited December 2011
    sooooo helpful, thanks ladies!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, you have picked some AWESOME places!!! Have you tried to look up reviews on each of them just like on google or TheKnot? They always help me a lot and give me some information that I may not have known befofe. Also, if you look at all of these places within a few days make sure you take notes on each of them as soon as you're done touring, because they may all run together. I know they did for me. Good luck! And update us after you tour them :)
  • edited December 2011
    We got married at Hawthorne House.  It was simply amazing.  They were awesome to work with, the food was wonderful, the venue is gorgeous.  You definitely picked some great venues.  I loved having everything in one place for my guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards