Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Cakes!

Does anyone have a suggestion on someone to go with in the KCMO area?  I'd like to keep the price "under" the usual $3.50 a slice... (budget of course!)  I know that may be a difficult was to puruse this, but I thought I would try!  Any ideas would be great! Thanks ladies!

Re: Cakes!

• Options
    Cake is the last thing we are figuring out before our wedding in August, and so far the only place I have found that is cheaper than $3.50 a slice has been Price Chopper. I have tasted their cakes a few times at bridal expos and it was good. I also read good/bad reviews online so we haven't decided who we are using yet. Let me know if you find any others :)
  • Options
    I am going with Sandy from Creative Cakes kc.  Here is her website. http://www.creativecakeskc.com/  

Her website says she starts at $3.00 a slice.  I'm getting two cakes so I really can't remember the breakdown of what we paid per slice but I know it's about $600 for two buttercream cakes.  I don't care for fondant but I know she does that too. I already did a cake tasting and her cakes are VERY VERY good! 
  • Options
    *eneh2012* I saw her website the other day!  Thought maybe I would check her out and no I def think I will!!!  Thanks for the info!! 

*tennismomma11* - I was thinking about PC/Hy-Vee - but, I wasn't sure if they were like the traditional "BDay" cakes you buy there?  I'll have to give them a shout and see if they have any samples or can make a sample for us to try.

Thank you!!
  • Options
    I am doing cupcakes, not cake, from Hy-Vee and I couldn't believe how much cheaper they are! Like $7-9 for a dozen cupcakes! Although the cake is not quite as good as other bakeries, we will be saving close to $150 this way, which is worth it in my eyes (I rather put more money towards adult beverages!). Plus, they have a ton of unique flavors like raspberry lemonade and chocolate peanut butter cup - not just traditional chocolate and vanilla!

Another idea to pursue, I was in a wedding last year where the bride decided to order a bunch of specialty cakes from a nice bakery (I believe 6 cakes for about 100 people) and she made all the bridesmaids cute aprons to wear and we cut the cakes and served guests. OMG it was the best cake I have ever eaten and all the guests were so happy (I have never even remembered the cake at a wedding, but  this got raves). It was totally cute, delicious and she saved so much money and had high quality cake!
  • Options
    Another plus to cupcakes is that you avoid a cake cutting fee if your venue charges one! 
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I am a cake decorator at one of the Hy-Vees (in KS) and a majority of us are AWESOME! (I'm not bias or anything)
    Our store charges $2 a slice, and the price goes up for anything special like fillings or fondant etc. I'm assuming others are similar.
    My old manager works at the one on Barry Road (KC1), and his designers are pretty great. Stephanie in Belton is amazing, she wins national contests like every year. That's a little away from KCMO though...

They should have portfolio books of their work, I know in Hy Vee but they might at Price Chopper/Hen House/etc... just take a look and decide which one you want to use.
  • Options
    You all are AWESOME!!  Thank you!  (ANYTHING at this point to save those $$ would be GREAT!)  I don't really have to worry about a "cake cutter" - I have some people who know how to do it who already volunteered :)  I'm not "super" concerned about the taste (however, still LOVE a good wedding cake!) so long as it doesn't have fondant and has plain old buttercream we are good to go!  
  • Options

Thank you Caterpillar85.  I was on the fence about trying Hy Vee or Price Chopper cake myself, but now I definately plan to try the Hy Vee on Barry Road, since I live across the street anyway :-) 

• Options
    I'm meeting with a few Price Choppers this weekend, and possibly a Hy-Vee! :) Good luck! Let us know what you find out! And I will do the same! :)
  • Options
    Hey ladies!!!! We put our deposit down at Price Chopper! : great taste! great filling options! GREAT price!
  • Options

Just wondering if the ladies checking into or going with PC or HyVee are looking into having them cater dinner too or just cake?  I think I'm going to inquire into both, I like their prices and the thought of combining vendors relieves some anxiety for me.  I heard PC had good food but have not heard anything about HyVee-beside their cakes.

• Options
    we went with BellaRoca Cakes, saw them at a bridal show...they were so nice and so helpful not to mention their wedding cake was SOOO good.  i think their cakes were startin at $3 but we went with a small cake for cutting and sheet cakes or kitchen cakes (?) and they were $1.75! and no one knew the diff.... 
    chek them out www.bellarocacakes.com
    here is the owners email dliddell@bellarocacakes.com :) hope this helps
  • Options
    FYI girls, if you are looking at booking multiple things with hy bee, I know they do discounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards