Missouri-Kansas City

Jacob's Well wedding

My daughter will be married June 2012.  We have arranged to have the wedding at Jacob's Well Church.  Since we are from Texas, we had never actually been to the church prior to chosing it.  We chose the church via on-line info.

This last week, we were in town to visit vendors and were able to tour the church. We loved the way it looked; it will fit great with the wedding we have planned, and the wedding coordinator couldn't have been nicer.

However, I noticed a distinctive musty smell in the sanctuary.   I am wondering if the smell was there because the sanctuary  was closed up during the week with no air conditioning running and that the smell wouldn't be there when the church was up and running.

I am hoping that others on the board may have experience with the church and can tell me if they have noticed this problem or if some may have ideas on how to address the issue.  Thanks for the help!

Re: Jacob's Well wedding

• kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I have no experience with Jacob's Well, but I'm guessing if it's older and with our hot summer that you might be right.  Are you able to have some scented candles during the ceremony to maybe cheer the smell up a little?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there!! I had my wedding there in May and didn't notice a smell at all. We looked at it like 5 times before the wedding and I never noticed anything like that. I don't know if you're working with Holly or not, but you could ask her about it. Just tell her it's a concern and you're just wanting to confirm it won't be there the day of the wedding. It probably is because of the air conditioning but maybe check just to make sure!
  • meladociousmeladocious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go to this church, and generally by the time they've had the place open for a while, there isn't an old church smell. I had my mother's funeral there, and especially once flowers were in and the place was open, there was no smell.

Hope this helps!
  • redroses5632redroses5632 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked at having our ceremony at Jacob's Well and chose not to for this exact reason. The musty smell was pretty overwhelming and the pew cushions looked dingey. We really like the church and especially the people there, but the smell was a no-go. We ended up booking St. John's United Methodist Church on Ward Parkway about 10 minutes south of Jacob's Well. It's a colonial church, and I like it because it has all of the charm Jacob's Well but a little more polished. HTH!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

201 Invited 12 Attending 6 Declined 183 Not Replied
    RSVP Date: October 1st

• lostmykeyslostmykeys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input  !  We really like the "old church" feel of the sanctuary, so I will come prepared in case we need to deal last minute with any odors. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards