Missouri-Kansas City

DIY projects

Hi ladies!  I posted some pictures of my DIY projects on my profile.  Save the Date, invitation, Rehearsal Dinner invitation, weekend event schedule, bridal necklace, bridal bracelet, bridesmaid bracelet, and flower girl pomander.  Thoughts and suggestions welcome!!

Re: DIY projects

• edited December 2011
    Wow those DYI's look great! I'm always worried I will end up trying to DIY and then failing and spending more money to fix my mistakes...but I try anyways. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the magnets from? We have our STD design but haven't decided how to print it yet (magnets, postcards, etc), and are looking for good pricing. Also, how in the world did you do the pom?!
  • edited December 2011
    I think all of your DIY's looked great.  I loved your idea of an individualized itinerary for each wedding party member - I hadn't thought about that.  I was just doing a general one for all wedding party members.  Loved the color too!
  • edited December 2011
    Lisa:
    I designed the STD myself using Picnik.  I then printed them out (4 on every piece of 8 1/2"x11" paper) and ran them through my mom's Xyron machine with magnetic paper.  The Xyron is not cheap, but I think most Michaels stores will let you use their in-store machine as long as you provide the magnetic paper.  I'm not 100% sure on this, but I want to say the paper is somewhere between $50-$70 per roll, and we used about 1 1/2 rolls to do 200 STDs.  After we got them all printed and magnetized we just used a heavy duty paper cutter to trim them all down.  Again, I think most Michaels or Archivers stores will let you use their machines.

The pomander was super easy but took a little time.  I just bought a styrofoam floral ball at Michaels and some purple hydrangea stems from the floral department.  I honestly don't remember what sized ball I got or how many stems, but I want to say I ended up using 9 stems total?  The stems are kind of expensive so I watched for sales and coupons.  After I had all the stuff I cut the smaller bud stems off of the main stem and separated them.  Then it was just the tedious process of dipping each little stem in glue and sticking it into the ball.  I think hot glue would make the process faster, but I never thought to do that until I was finished!  Don't forget to glue the ribbon in place before you cover the whole ball...I used some straight pins to hold it and then glue on top.

Maiyae:
    I actually borrowed the idea from something I found online.  I just typed it in Word quickly and made the colors and font to match the rest of our wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    So crafty...I am in awe right now!  Thanks for the info! 
  • edited December 2011
    Love them!  Especially your bracelet and the flower girls flowers.  You did a great job!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards