Missouri-Kansas City

Any KC brides getting married in Lawrence?

I'm a KC bride who is having her wedding in Lawrence- anyone else? So far it hasn't been too hard coordinating everything, but starting to look at florists and caterers, so not sure if i want to go with a KC vendor, or stick with someone in Lawrence. I'd love to hear what other Lawrence knotties are doing!

Re: Any KC brides getting married in Lawrence?

• nikkifeenikkifee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey! I live in KC, but am getting married in lawrence. I had a difficult time picking out florists, and just decided to make flowers myself out of ribbon and fabric. Some of the florists charge a delivery fee to lawrence, but others don't. Englewood florist was really reasonable and nice, they let me do the consultation via email as I didn't have time to drive up to lawrence. We're using Maceli's for our caterer, and they have a big "tasting" for people getting married about once a month, it was lot of fun! they had a buffet of food and wine, all for free! So I brought my fiance and my parents to taste test. 
  • edited December 2011
    Nikki- Sounds like you are doing a lot of the things I'm thinking about, as i have just been emailing with Macelis! I think its great they allow others to come, because i know my parents would like to check out the food.
    Great to know Englewood was willing to work with you, i'm definitely going to check them out!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi girls! I live in Lawrence and got married in Lawrence last year, so thought I would offer some recommendations on local vendors that did a great job for us.

For flowers, it's hands-down. For the best price and quality, go to Pendleton's Country Market. It's out in the country, just a few miles east of town. Karen Pendleton did such a great job on every single arrangement, and she took a lot of time to sit down with us to go over every single flower detail. Her quote was significantly less than any other we got, too.

Sleepy Jean's did our favors -- Jean Younger makes all kinds of amazingly yummy chocolates and caramels out of her home, which is 10 miles or so southwest of Lawrence. I think our favors got down to around $2.50 per, but that was the only quote we got, so I'm not sure how it compares with others. Once I tasted her coffee and honey caramels, I was hooked!

We got married and had our reception at the Eldridge, which was wonderful. Everything about it was perfect. We also got married on the Sunday of Labor Day, so it cut down greatly on rental spaces. The coordinator there was Joanna Lowder. She was wonderfully attentive and exacted all of our requests down to a tee.

Now in Lawrence there's also the Alton Ballroom, which is adjacent to Pachamama's. I have a friend getting married there in March. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds beautiful.

Oh also we reserved blocks of rooms for out-of-town guests at Hampton Inn, Best Western and The Eldridge.

If I think of any other tips, I'll share them again here!

Best of luck on your weddings!
  • edited December 2011
    Darcella- I've heard of Pendletons but forgot about them! I'm going to contact them, thank you for the suggestion!!
  • edited December 2011
    Darcella- I've heard of Pendletons but forgot about them! I'm going to contact them, thank you for the suggestion!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards