Missouri-Kansas City

Alterations

Hi everyone!  My sister's wedding dress came in a couple of weeks ago, and she needs to have alterations done -- I think just the bottom needs hemmed a bit and the bodice needs to be taken in a touch.  The tricky part is that it's lace.  The woman we used for my wedding alterations, Barb Dawson, is going to be on vacation.  The other woman that Bridal Extraordinaire recommened just charged one of Lindsey's BMs about $500 for her wedding dress alterations.  That seems a bit steep, IMO.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  She lives in Liberty, but is willing to drive elsewhere in the KC area for a great (and reasonable) tailor.  TIA!

Re: Alterations

• kcmedstudentkcmedstudent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Robbin at Satin Stitches up in Smithville, MO.  I am meeting with her Saturday.  I spoke to her on the phone for about 15 minutes and she was so sweet.  Another bride on here recommended Robbin.  Her website shows that her prices are very reasonable.

http://satinstitchesbridal.com/Alterations.aspx

She has 30 years of experience and has worked at David's Bridal doing alterations.  I'm taking my dress in Saturday and getting it back the following Sunday a week later.  I'm having to rush it because I'm driving home to Dallas on the 15th and having bridal portraits done on the 16th.  She did not seem bothered by having to rush it.  She totally understood.  I'll let you know how it goes.
  • kcmedstudentkcmedstudent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I met with Robin today for alterations on my dress.  A lot needed to be done such as a few inches on the hem ($35), the hips, bust,taken in ($35), halter top taken in ($15) bustle with 3 pick ups ($25) plus two extra pic ups ($10)

She was super sweet and I can't wait to see the final results.  My dress was complicated with the bustle because it gathers on one side at an angle but she spent a lot of time making sure the bustle looked perfect!  I think I was there for an hour and a half.
    I will be picking it up next Sunday.
  • HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, Satin Stitches seems like a great deal!

I don't know of anyone with an actual company but I know someone who is a retired seamstress who still does bridal gowns  on the side...?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards