Missouri-Kansas City

searching for a student photographer

My fiance and I are looking for a student photographer to photograph our wedding.  Does anyone know of some student photographers that would like to photograph our wedding?

Re: searching for a student photographer

• Do you have a budget? Even student photogs can be pricey. My photographer is $800 for just him all day and includes engagement photos, and a friend of mine wanted to charge that same amount (without EPs), so I went with the experienced guy.
  • yes we are on a really really tight budget...our budget for the whole wedding is 2000.00.  We have 4 daughters and my fh is the only one working right now.  Ive found this photographer who is 500.00 and that is for 8 hours which is a deal.  Ive told my fh this but he thinks its still to expensive.  Which is clearly a deal but he is so clue less on wedding planning and how much things cost.  So I really want to go with this gentleman.  But I am still going to keep my options open.  I'm going job hunting tomorrow so hopefully everything works out and I get one because if I do...this photographer is my guy!!!
  • That is a great deal! But still 1/4 your budget... have you thought of the disposable camera thing? That way your guests are the photographers. My aunt did this and it actually turned out wonderful... she had a card on each table next to the cameras and had an "I SPY" list, where it would say "take a picture of---" and list the things that you want photographed. 'the couple married the longest' 'little kids dancing' 'the bride and groom kissing'

You could still hire a photographer for the ceremony and wedding party pics too, and try to work a deal since you would only need them for about 2 hours.

I hope your job search goes well!! That would be amazing, then you could definitely get some good stuff for your wedding that you couldn't otherwise afford, GOOD LUCK!
  • Good luck with everything! I've heard of people putting cards out at their weddings saying "picutres worth a thousand words, please send us the pictures from today at ___________ and put in your email address" Some of my favorite pictures from my wedding are the ones that my friends/family took! They are the ones that if someone else looked at them they'd want to hear the story behind it :)

• I'm in a similar boat.  Hopeing to find a photographer for around $500 and was going to start looking for students too.  We are having a small wedding and don't need tons of photos, just some of the basics, *hopefully* well done.  Good luck to you! 

• You may try Craigslist....that is where we found our photographer....we were wanting to get pictures taken with us an our dog, so we hired her for that to get a feel for her.  We thought she was great so we decided to use her for the wedding. She was just starting out so her prices were great compared to others for weddings. Her prices have gone up now since e hire her because she has gotten more experience.  You may also try to contact schools such as the Kansas City Art Institute and see if they have a student that might recommend to you.
    April 2012 May Siggy Challenge! Favorite Gift kitchenaid May siggy Anniversary
  • Thanks ladies @ catepillar85...that is exactly what my fh said about it being 1/4 of a budget...you know i thought about that but didnt really let it soak in...but since I did then its best for me towait..Ive thought about the disposable camera thing which is a great idea but thought of people taking pictures of things that I didnt really want and taking pictures of crazy things..so the idea of doing the I SPY thing is great!!!And another great idea you gave was hiring the photographer only for the ceremony..thats a great idea to...gave me so many great ideas thanks caterpillar 85
  • Thanks MLC613, @ MandA81711 I emailed a art institute here in Kansas City and the professor emailed me back saying that it was a little to early because it was over a year away but contact them in the fall and they would be happy to have a student to photograph the wedding for me...My entire weekend was all about looking for a student photographer...I went to every college or university I could think of here in Kansas City..Tomorrow I will email all the professors, and see what would happen for me...I'm really considering caterpillars85 advice and doing the pics my self and hiring the photographer for 2 hours..its only 150 for 3 hours...we dont need alot of pictures either...we are very laid back and dont need alot of pictures, its going to be a intimate but fun wedding...we are not going all out at all...we have four daughters to raise so we just dont feel like spending a heck of alot of money on one day...our main concern is our daughters....but I can give you the name of the photographer if you want...I have to find his information.. if you would like it email me at ericathefuturemrswest@gmail.com
  • ChrismBen0716...thank you Ive tried craigslist...there has been some with some really good prices...but considering our budget and us having 4 kids some of them are to expensive for that reason...But still really good prices...i have been on craigslist everyday lol...just searching for photographers...ive even considered cooking the food for the reception myself..the day before...lol yes i'm crazy my future husband doesnt think I should and all my bridesmaids think I'm crazy for wanting to do that to..I contacted the Art institute this weekend..And was emailed back today.  The professor asked me to get back to them in the fall because my wedding is a year away and to early to book a student photographer...But tomorrow I am going to email the rest of the schools and professors i have...And see what they have to say...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards