Missouri-Kansas City

major photog bummer (kinda long)

Hey ladies! I am trying my best to stay positive about everything WR, but recently I got some "devastating" news. To begin, I interviewed several photographers, including my favorite out of Texas who was willing to come to KC and shoot my wedding w/o charging me travel fees instead of staying locally in Texas. I opted against her b/c she is a little over budget for us. Instead, I chose a photographer with a great personality, and I feel that FI and I had great chemistry with her from the get-go. I originally wanted someone that could provide 2 photogs, approx 8 hrs WD coverage and cd w/ printing rights, e-pics w/ cd & rights and an option for "affordable" bridal portraits. A lot of the photographers I met with did not have the engagement cd included with any of their packages, but offered it 'a la carte' from $500+ depending on the photographer.

I explained all this to everyone I "interviewed" and no one seemed to have a problem with negotiating their original package deal. I even expressed this importance to the photographer we finally picked after two months of searching. I got all the pricing information (or so I thought) including their hourly coverage, albums, prints and STD's. The only thing not included was the cd with engagement prints. We just had our e-session a week and a half ago and LOVED every hour of it. (Two and a half to be exact). FI and I both looked and felt great the whole time, and I feel the "bond" we created with our photographer got so much stronger. I became more and more exciting about her shooting our wedding. When we were done with our e-session, I pleeded with our photog to send me information about getting our images on cd so we can share them with our family. She said she'd send the information when she got home.

I was really excited to open the email, but was quickly disappointed when I saw the ridiculous figures they came up with for their "a la carte" cd's. For the maximum amount of pictures (60 images with only TEN in high resolution) they want $1,999!!!!! 40 images with only SIX in HR $1,499!! Holy crap! How the heck did they come up with these numbers???? We're already paying $350/hour and have invested about $1500 in them already. My first thought was, call the photog and beg her to give ME MY money back and lie and say the engagement was called off. I am so upset with myself for choosing who I thought was so awesome and was thrilled to work with. To even use 'vistaprint' or some other site for our STD's, we'd have to purchace the individual rights to each photo we choose. So, now we're kinda' stuck with using their STD's, which thankfully aren't tremendoulsy expensive. But still - I am really upset about how much it will cost us if we really want our e-pics. What are they going to do with them that they would cost that much?? They're pics of ME and FI - why can't I have them for a reasonable price?? UGH!!!!

This was the one vendor choice we were willing to splurge on since the photographs and video are the only tangible memories to pass on - but this is way outta' hand.

Thanks for reading - if you made it this far. What would you do????

Re: major photog bummer (kinda long)

• edited December 2011
    I think I just freaked out a little bit for you! I don't know what I would do in that situation...were those prices talked about before the shoot? Do they have pricing listed anywhere on a website or anything? I feel like it's kind of shady if that info wasn't available upfront.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh goodness. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I think that's crazy!!! Did you have anything in writing at all? If so, I would so be using that against them right now. Even email conversations, or phone messages?

But then again, it's kind of hard to know what to do. Let's say you did get your situation settled....is the photographer going to provide quality service on your wedding day, or are they going to half-a** it? I have had this fear because I have had some disagreements with my photographer, but have held my tongue.

I would fight this, but I would also be on the look-out for another photographer if you choose to!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have anything in writing or an email? 
  • jenifjenif member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

did you put a deposit down for what you wanted without a contract? your initial statement indicates what your requests were and you also mentioned that you want to ask for your money back - was a contract signed detailing the terms you both agreed upon? if so, this is a moot point and your photographer should be abiding by the contract. if the fault fell on you, though, in that you signed a contract and placed a retainer for something that wasn't listed in your contract, then i'm afraid you may be out of luck on this one. you make a good point in asking, "what is she going to do with the pictures, they aren't of her," but you have to remind yourself that this is her business and her livelihood that you're asking her to refund due to a mistake (potentially) made on your part.

someone said something to me the other day that put things into perspective for the cost of a photographer. if you had a job that required a plumber, the plumber would charge you $50 an hour to fix a pipe and would have the option to come back and redo it at a later time if it wasn't up to par. a wedding/portrait photographer - not so much. they have a responsibility to capture those moments one time and one time only in a couples life - so you pay the value of knowing you have images for life of a moment you can never recreate. it's the reason she charges what she charges - so while i understand you might be upset there is a reason totally amazing pictures have a pricetag to come with them - because they're well worth it.

i hope this all is able to get resolved for you; take care!

• teamdynamiteteamdynamite member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to double check our contract, but I'm pretty sure it was strictly wedding day related. The actual e-session was free - since I got a flyer thing at a Bridal Show in January. I was only upset b/c when I originally inquired about the e-pics and having them on cd, FI and I did not know whether or not we wanted to have prints or anything. When I asked photog if we would be able to purchase a cd if we changed our minds, she stated that they typically do not give e-pics on cd. I asked what the price would be anyway and was told that we would discuss it after I got a feel of our e-session. So, I guess most of this is my fault. but still - how does someone figure a few images cost $2,000?? I don't understand that part at all! Live and learn I guess?

I am really glad other vendors are willing to work with some of the things we have yet to decide concretely. In this case, my advice to anyone is to go with your heart - not your gut. My heart wanted the Dallas photographer that shot my brother's wedding.... oh well. Thanks for "listening" ladies. I'll do some research and update this later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards