Missouri-Kansas City

KC Bride to be who lives in Houston

Hi All,

I'm new here! I just got engaged over Christmas. My fiance and I live in Houston, Tx but are from Kansas City. We are having the wedding and reception in Kansas City, so we have tried getting a head start on the planning because of the distance. The wedding is August of 2011. While visiting Kansas City for the different holidays (memorial) (4 of july) (thanksgiving) (Christmas), we are trying to take care of wedding details. Our budget not including dress is $9000 for 225 ppl. We are in love with a downtown venue, but are turned off with the fact they have a preferred vendors list.

*Has anyone had experience with the Little Theater or the Loretto as a reception venue? Any additional photos?

*Bakery for the wedding cake?

*Does anyone have any insight about affordable catering, brancatos or aramark.

* Wedding dress stores?-From the other post, Mia's seems like a good start.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all your help. the previous post have been really helpful.

Re: KC Bride to be who lives in Houston

• HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement! :-)

*Has anyone had experience with the Little Theater or the Loretto as a reception venue? Any additional photos?
    I don't for this one; sorry! :-(

*Bakery for the wedding cake?
    We love our cake lady, Just Cakes. If you want a "package deal" Hyvee gives a 10% (I believe) discount for using them for catering, flowers and food. I was in a wedding that did that and they were great. Not only that, but it seems kind of convenient to have it all from one place! haha :-)

*Does anyone have any insight about affordable catering, brancatos or aramark.
    unfortunately, not much other than I was impressed by the Brancatos staff at a bridal fair and they had quite a few options/price ranges.

*Wedding dress stores?
    Mia's, Ida's, Bridal Extraordinaire

I would almost focus on the reception venue first, especially with a guest list of 225. A large amount of the places we looked at "capped out" between 125-200. We ended up going with Camelot Ballroom (near Metcalf & 151st) which can hold a lot of people and use our own caterer (they had a preferred list, but we could use anyone).

• momo09momo09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the engagement!!! I live in Dallas and was a KC bride too(DH and I are from the KC area originally as well)  Its great to have another Texan around. 

I don't have much experience with the vendors you are looking at but there are some great venues that you can use, just gotta start researching!!!!

I used the same baker as Hammy's-Just Cakes and I got my dress at the Gown Gallery in Waldo and was very happy with my service there.

E-mail me for any more info at triplm [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • edited December 2011

We are using Affordable Catering and tasted the food the other night and its very good! They seemed to have been in business for awhile and they know what they are doing! We are also getting married downtown at the Arts incubator very cool, lofty, and a good price.

• sarahnhendrixsarahnhendrix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check the Hotel Phillips downtown. I loved that it was a beautiful historic hotel just a block and a half from the Power and Light District. Its also a smaller, boutique hotel and they are more flexible than, say, a Marriott, would be. It is where I am having both my ceremony and reception. It was far less affordable than it looked (the site itself is BEAUTIFUL!) and my budget is very close to yours! Because I am being so budget conscience I have had to do a lot of research here. The food would have to be ordered through their own chef, but it is delish and offers lots of affordable options. The hotel allows you to use any other vendors you want. I shopped florists for months and was directed to Russ with All Season's florist, by the hotel. The owner of the shop does the hotel's flowers and is wonderful! He can work with any budget and style. Mention my name as a referral! 

I also got my dress at Gown Gallery. They have a new location downtown and have been great. 

Good luck! Let me know if you need any other suggestions!

Sarah H.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    I just moved back to KS from Houston. If you want to look for gowns while you are still in Houston there is a great consignment boutique called Marry Go Round. They have over 300 bridal gowns that are either discontinued sample gowns or once-worn gowns. If you are on a budget with the gown you might check it out.
  • kamora&khilahkamora&khilah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    im also to kc bride living in texas and i am stressed to the max im getting married june of 2011 and i have no clue where to start
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards