April 2013 Weddings

first song?

Any one thought about this yet if so what are you going to play? Also share any of your other music selections. 

I `````think```````` we are going to play Ronan keating's when you say nothing at all from the notting hill sound track.

For the ceremony I have no clue. I have to talk to the harpist and organist to see what they can do.

Re: first song?

• Our first Dane will be Shania Twain, your still the one. I'm going down the aisle to marry me by train, the precession will be Etta james at last. I think my bp will walk out to don't wanna miss a thing by Aerosmith.... Haha I have more but don't wanna go on and on
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I want to walk down the aisle to "A Thousand Years". Not sure if my church will let me.

As for our first dance, there are 3 songs I can't decide between. I don't know if we want a lighter, fun song or a traditional slow dance.
  • I'm walking down to All I Ask of You from The Phantom of the Opera.  We're having a violinist, and I'm excited to hear how beautiful that song will sound!  I don't think we're having a wedding party, so no issue there.  If we do the formal seating of the parents, I'll just ask the violinist what she is able to play that's appropriate.  Haven't even thought about our recessional song. 

As for our first dance, we haven't talked about it really.  Our taste in music is about as different as you can get, so this will be interesting.  I want Me and You by Kenny Chesney - not because I'm a huge fan (my mom is  a mega-fan) but because that song always makes me teary-eyed when I hear it because the message is perfect for us.  FI is into classic rock and I've asked him to pick a song that would be appropriate and so far, nothing.  Good thing we have lots of time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • our first dance is all my life by k ci and jo jo ..it was played at our grade 8 grad so its special to us.   

anyone have any songs they are choosing for the bouquet toss?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have spent some time deciding what songs  We want something fun and upbeat and original and meaningful.  We are not getting married in a church so we have a little more flexibility to be original.

Walking down the aisle to Thank you for Loving me by Bon Jovi.  If we have a sand ceremony or some type of thing like that it may be Over the Rainbow by Big Iz. We are having trouble deciding on the recessional song, but maybe Standing on Top of the WOrld by Van Halen or Feel So Close to You Right now by Calvin Harris.  When we're announced into the reception hall, the bridesmaids and groomsmen will probably walk in to a Jimmy Buffett song but not sure which one.  Then we'll walk in to This is our House by Bon Jovi.  It's should get the crowd on their feet.  

First dance is going to be Smile by Uncle Cracker.  I really want to work in Michael Buble's You've Got What it Takes somehow as well. 

Last song of the night played by the DJ is going to be Lovely Cruise by Jimmy Buffett.  I'm the Bon Jovi freak and he's the Jimmy Buffett freak so we're compromising and it seems to be working out so far!

Also need a fun cake cutting song!

Of course, we have a year so I could change my mind many times by then!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gina, I got to meet Uncle Kracker last summer when he was in town doing a concert.  His meet & greet skills are sorely lacking.  lol  However, I did get him to autograph my backstage pass, which was cool.  I remember the day was FREEZING - by the time the he went on stage, it was only about 48 degrees.  He came down the aisle and said "Wasn't it like 80 degrees here yesterday?  SH!T!"  and then he stayed on the stage under the warmth of the stage lights. lol

Our last song of the night will be My Way by Frank Sinatra.  Our families are VERY traditional and they hate the idea of us doing a destination wedding so I think it's appropriate.  Plus, it was one of my grandma's favorite songs and she passed in '02, just a few weeks before my older sister's wedding.  It would be a fitting tribute.

I forgot about the cake cutting song - thanks for reminding me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • We have no idea yet.  I'm booking a violinist for the ceremony and have to decide that, too.  I'm leaning towards "Unchained Melody" for our first dance, though.  I'd like it to morph into "Crazy in Love" by Beyonce, since I'm a huuuuge Beyonce fan.  Go straight from the first dance to the party!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ gina  For the cake cutting song im either doing  " sugar sugar."  or i wanna grow old with you by Adam Sandler...

@vk -  I love the One thousand years song .. im honeslty a huuuuge Twilight fan... FI sings be Iron and Wine's Flightess Bird song all the time ( i think thats how I knew he was a keeper... when he was willing to sing me twilight songs...)  so i really want to work those songs into the wedding... I'll probably just end up putting them on the wedding video.

I really wish the wedding was next month and not next YEAR!!!  Frown
  • Wow, I haven't thought about music that much, I feel so inadequate.. I really like Vitamin String Quartet for before the ceremony, since we both like alt. rock we think its a fun way to incorporate our music tastes but keep it wedding appropriate. My FI loves the Foo Fighters and really wants to dance to the acoustic version of Everlong, but I don't think it would be a good song to dance to.. so maybe that one while I walk down the aisle? I feel so unprepared next to everyone else lol

• erbear84erbear84 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_first-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:3a179933-c368-4244-b674-87f94dbd488cPost:1f18da46-f84c-4ca3-b8c6-e8cb144bf06c">Re: first song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I haven't thought about music that much, I feel so inadequate.. I really like <strong>Vitamin String Quartet</strong> for before the ceremony, since we both like alt. rock we think its a fun way to incorporate our music tastes but keep it wedding appropriate. My FI loves the Foo Fighters and really wants to dance to the acoustic version of Everlong, but I don't think it would be a good song to dance to.. so maybe that one while I walk down the aisle? I feel so unprepared next to everyone else lol
    Posted by svanculin[/QUOTE]

That's funny because it was their cover of Coldplay that's inspiring me to pick untraditional ceremony music!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Music majors plan out all their music first! :) Other details are so much less important...then they get their fi's aproval...still working on that part.

Slide show songs (we will be doing this before the ceremony as guests are being seated): Just Haven't Met You Yet by Michael Buble, I See the Light from Tangled, Falling For You by Colbie Cailat

Processional for entire wedding party, including bride (our church aisle is kinda short...): The Promice of Living by Aaron Copeland, arranged for string quartet and organ by my dad

Unity Candle: Galileo by Josh Groban (have not decided if this will be live or off the CD)

Recessional: Angel of Joy, from some book our church organist has. Joyful, and aptly named.

Bridal Party Entrance at Reception: I Got a Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas

Couple Entrance at Reception: You May Be Right by Billy Joel

First Dance: Hold On To Me by Michael Buble, if this gets vetoed I OKed She's Got a Way by Billy Joel

Father Daughter Dance: either Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel) by Billy Joel, or If Ever I Would Leave You from Camelot

Boquet Toss: The Way You Love Me by Faith Hill

Garter Toss: Power of Love by Hewey Luis

Couple Exit Music: If I Ever Leave This World Alive by Flogging Molly

I had a last song of the night picked out, but I can't remember off the top of my head. And I really don't care about what we play to cut the cake...As you may have noticed there is a lot of Billy Joel here. We don't really have a song, but he's deffinitly our artist. Often on Sunday nights we'll turn Slacker Radio to "Billy Joel" and play Scrabble or put together some Legos.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
  • First dance is going to be Baby I'm Yours by the Arctic Monkeys. I also know I am going to walk down the aisle to a beatles song most likely. My groom is already picking a whole playlist!
    Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March siggy:THE DRESS
    photo practically_perfect_2_zpsb1ba38c6.jpg
  • nothing else matters by metallica. first dance

thinking about "over the rainbow/what a wonderful world" by Israel “IZ” Kamakawiwo‘ole for the walk down the aisle. fitting for a tropical wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards