April 2013 Weddings

Trash the dress! sad news...be careful ladies

This is a sad post  just want anyone considering to do a trash the dress after the wedding to be VERY careful

A canadian girl died doing this over the weekend. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Trash the dress! sad news...be careful ladies

• I know really sad!! something you dont really think of and so many people do this...just want people to be aware incase they are thinking of doing something like this
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2012
    This is one of those stories that while of course, very very sad, makes me so angry, because why would you wear a heavy dress and go someplace like that where others have drowned before, and put yourself into a situation on a slippery rock surface, or fast rushing water? It just makes you wonder why they would have put her in that spot to being with. Very sad!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How terrible... I'm so glad I read this. I never even thought about how heavy a wedding dress could get. 100 pounds is no joke. Tragic news. :(

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • so tragic I saw this story earlier :-(
  • I guess I always did consider the harm in this, since I'm a diver and started my diving days in dry suits in Alaska with 80 lbs of gear all the time.  I had one day where I couldn't dive because I had too much weight on(too get passed the current and stay on the bottom to do the work I needed to) and the current was too strong(I couldn't stay with my dive buddy) so I called the dive off.  
    Most of the trash the dress pix I've seen involve shallow water, like the ones at beaches where the bride is just playing in the surf.  I did see one of a couple jumping off of a dock but the groom was right there to assist the bride if necessary and the water was completely calm.  I guess this just goes to show you that you can never really be too careful.  I really hope that a lot of couples and photographers learn from this :-/
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_trash-the-dress-sad-newsbe-careful-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:8e706b4b-0723-4dbe-beeb-16f368d8115ePost:d6438152-297b-4d35-b8f9-8d61143edd6e">Re: Trash the dress! sad news...be careful ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is one of those stories that while of course, very very sad, makes me so angry, because why would you wear a heavy dress and go someplace like that where others have drowned before, and put yourself into a situation on a slippery rock surface, or fast rushing water? <strong>It just makes you wonder why they would have put her in that spot to being with</strong>. Very sad!
    Posted by orangehills[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything except the bolded. I don't think anyone put her there. In the article it says that she wanted a picture of herself floating in the water, so ultimately she is the one that put herself in immediate danger.

While I think this is awful and a tragedy, I also think that some people are just stupid and so focused on getting the 'perfect shot' they don't realize their surroundings.
  • Oh I agree. I just didn't want to blame the girl who died, but really.. I guess we all have to think before we put ourselves into situations like that! It's just really sad, but yah, hopefully people do learn from that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Such a tragic event and my heart goes out to her new husband and her entire family.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A friend of mine did the "jump off the dock" route.  She did mention that it was really difficult with both the weight of the dress and the fabric getting caught in her legs.  But again, that was completely calm water and with hubby right with her. 

It's awful that this has happened, I hope people are just made aware and are careful and cautious- I never would have thought about it, either. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards