Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Wedding Cakes in Lafayette Area

I went talk to a lady about doing my cake today and was blown away by the price of the cake. I'm not sure  if I am just being knieve,but the cake was almost as much as I paid for my wedding dress. And I don't really even find that the cake was all that extravagent (sp). Does anyone know of cake people that are good but don't cost alot? Or should I just get over the fact and realize that my cake is going to cost alot? Thanks for any help!

Re: Wedding Cakes in Lafayette Area

• eponvilleeponville member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is something my mom and I have been struggling with- a lot of places in town charge about $4 a slice (we are expecting around 250 guest) so $4 a slice is just not in the budget- I know its my wedding cake but I can't fathom spending that much money on it. We have found some places around town that charge about $2 per slice which fits into our budget much better. I don't need anything too fancy and I don't even eat cake...
  • edited December 2011
    I used to be a cake decorator, so before I was engaged, I had an idea of what wedding cakes cost.  It's usually a lot.  But I do know that you can cut a lot of cost by not having it covered in fondant.  I know fondant looks nice, but it tastes like crap.  I'm a cake purist and I think how it tastes should outweigh how it looks.  You can have a spectacular looking cake that's not covered in fondant.  Or, you could do fondant details, like bows. HTH.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • edited December 2011
    The one person i talked to so far was like 3.25 per slice with buttercream icing, not even fondant which is why I was freaking out because I know fondant is even more expensive. I don't like the way fondant tastes anyway haha. Lauren do you want to make my cake? haha Just kidding. Thanks for the help girls!
  • edited December 2011
    A lady from Abbeville will be making my cake. She made my cousin's cake for her wedding and it was delicious and beautiful and I found it was very reasonably priced. Three tiers (16", 12", and 8") with buttercream icing for $350. She is also going to Youngsville to deliver and set up my cake and that is included in that price. If you want her information let me know.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes please if you don't mind! Thankyou so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards