Louisiana-Baton Rouge
Options

Questions?????

How far in advance did you guys purchase your wedding gown?  I am pretty sure I found my dress, so I think that I am going to go ahead and order it.  Second thing, we have our first cake consultations on Wednesday-one with Ambrosia and one with Gambino's- if satisfied with either of them do think that we should go ahead and put a deposit down?  Our wedding isn't until August 2011.  We kind of wanted to have most of the major things out of the way by the end of the year.  How did you guys handle your planning?  I don't really have alot of help, as most of my family lives out of town, i.e., mom, sisters, closest cousin, etc.  So, any help and/or advice would be very helpful.  Thanks!

Re: Questions?????

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I ordered my wedding gown in July 2009 and my wedding is October 2010 so I think it's a great time to order your dress. When it comes in you will have plenty of time to alter it before you take your bridal portraits.  I also consulted with Ambrosia and Gambino's. I booked Gambino's in September 2009 for my wedding.  I think that once you are certain of what vendor you want you should go ahead and book them for your date. If you aren't certain of what kind of cake you want, or what kind of flowers, or whatever the case may be, you have plenty of time to figure out those details but I would book my vendors now.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think now is the ideal time to get most of your deposits down, especially when it comes to venue and photographer since those 2 book up first.

The advice I give brides is to not purchase their dress too far in advance. The boutique I bought my dress from takes about 6 months for dresses to come in, unless you buy a sample. If you purchase right now, it will come in about 6 months before your wedding and will allow plenty of time for alterations and bridals. So I would start looking now and if you find your dress, then definitely purchase it. Just stop looking at dresses all together after you purchase one. I bought my dress WAY too far in advance and when the wedding was getting closer, I grew kind of tired of it.

Ambrosia books up pretty quickly so if you are 100% sure you want to use them, then I would say book it. I know quite a few bakerys around here don't even start consultations until at most 6 months in advance so I'm surprised to hear you already have a consultation with Ambrosia.

Good luck with everything!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    lboatnerscottlboatnerscott member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    lboatnerscottlboatnerscott member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Linate, what was your reason for choosing Gambino's over Ambrosia?   
  • Options
    edited December 2011

When I want to Ambrosia, the lady was about half an hour late to the appointment which I took as a pretty bad sign. The lady who consulted with us was extraordinarily nice and showed my mom and I plenty of examples of cakes. She gave us a sample piece of wedding cake which I thought was okay but my mom thought was awful (really surprising to me because I normally find Ambrosia cakes are delicious!).  Finally, she quoted a price for me for the cakes I wanted - a 3-tier square cake with our monogram for 100 people and a freshwater fish for the groom's cake - $900.  When I met with Gambino's they were also really sweet and accomodating.  I showed the lady at Gambino's pictures of the two cakes I wanted - the EXACT same two cakes I had asked for at Ambrosia - $400.  So, the decision was easy for me, especially when the cake sample at Gambino's tasted so much better. The only downside is that I have to rent a cake stand because Gambino's didn't have one for me to use. Hope that's helpful!

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My name is Ashley Fontenot. I am a wedding planner. If you are to need help with anything for your wedding please let me know. I would love to help! You can email me. I have included my email address down at the bottom!

Thank you
    Ashley Fontenot
    Your Perfect Memories
    email: afontenot87@yahoo.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards