Louisiana-Baton Rouge
Options

Dress budgets

Just curious to know what people are willing to spend on a dress.  I tried on a BEAUTIFUL Maggie Sottero over the weekend.  It was over my budget but I am still considering purchasing it.  I am pretty sure that this is THE ONE but don't know if I can justify HAVING to HAVE this dress!

Re: Dress budgets

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My dream dress is a Jim Hjelm one that costs oh, about $4000...wayyy out of my budget! lol  I would be just be sick if I paid anything more than $500 for my dress. I just can't justify paying that much for a something that I'm only going to be wearing once and only for a few hours.
    But to each their own! Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dress was about $500. My budget was $1,000. I couldn't imagine spending more than that! But some people do, and that's their choice.

I refused to try on any dress over $1,000. I went in to my appointments and told the consultant "My budget is $1,000, and I don't want to try on anything that costs more than that."

One consultant didn't listen to me, and had me try on a dress that was $1,500. I loved it. We talked about alterations and sizing, and then she said "Well, It's a little over the budget you gave me... it's $1,500. Is that okay?"

I told her no, and I took the dress off and asked if there was anything similar to it within my budget. She looked around, couldn't find anything, and I left.

But then, I'm pretty stern when it comes to budgets. If cost didn't matter to me, I wouldn't set a budget!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    SE+MBSE+MB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I think your dress budget depends on what you can afford. I haven't tried on dresses, but I plan to soon. I've looked online mostly and I found a beautiful Enzoani dress that I LOVE.  I asked on the Knot 911 App (for iPhone) if anyone had this particular dress, and I was shocked to find out that it costs around $2,500 before alterations and everything. If I had that kind of money to spend of a dress, I absolutely would. But I don't.

If I didn't have a dress budget, I would probably want to get my dress custom made.

My dress budget is $1,000. I am very tempted to go try on that Enzoani dress at Bustle in Baton Rouge. I hope it looks terrible so I can move on to another dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was going to look at david's bridal since I found several online that I liked. Now im considering Southern Bride as well. I dont want to spend more than 700.00 on a dress I cant fathom spending that much money on a dress I will wear for a moment.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    over eight hundred dollars, trying not to think about it.
  • Options
    cluebeecluebee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at a little of everything -- the less expensive to the you must be joking expensive. I thought that I needed to see a little of everything to figure out where I wanted to be budget-wise. What I found out is that I am a fabric snob. I tended to like good fabrics with luster so much more than a completely bedazzled gown.

In the end, I settled on a budget around $2000 to 3000. I had to spend a little more than most because I had to have my dress rushed, just to ensure that it was here in time for alterations before I had my bridal shoot.

Hope this helps!
    January 2013 Signature Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall
    College Football Returns! Go Dawgs!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic | Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    pregnancy week by week
  • Options
    cruggierocruggiero member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress was my mom's gift and she wanted to splurge.  We had a $3000 budget and ended up finding my dream dress come true at Bridal Boutique thanks to their Lazaro trunk sale.  If not for her I would never have been able to afford it.
  • Options
    hwilli8hwilli8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My budget was $1000 - my dress was actually $1022 (worth the extra 22.00, LOL)  I ended up going to Pearls Place in NO - I heard horror stories from there before, but we went on a week day when it was slow and had a great experience.  The dresses are cheaper than the one's in BR and free alterations.  So far, so good, we'll see when my dress gets here in November!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Cherry0109Cherry0109 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say my budget was $1,000- I got my dress from Gabrielle's for around $600, alterations were $95, my veil... my veil is where we really splurdged, I think it was orginially $249 but due to some special cercumstances I got it for $149. I would never have imagined spending that much on my veil and I woudn't have if my parents hadn't been sp supportive of me getting it. The comb was beautiful it was fresh water pearls and swavorski crystal and went perfectly with my dress.
  • Options
    adsbourqueadsbourque member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also found my dress at Pearl's Place in New Orleans.  I fell in love w/ my dress immediately.  Their dresses start at $600 that's where we started.  I didn't really have a budget at that time since I just got engaged and was there to get fitted for a bridemaid's dress for a friend's wedding.  I looked around in Baton Rouge but nothing came close to that dress.  My dress was $720 final.  It was marked at $800 but I was told that there was a discount and tax free that weekend (not sure it that was the case, but who cares!).  They also offer free alterations, but that can be a headache.  

Good luck w/ your dress search!
  • Options
    brebetts1brebetts1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Bustle on Highland in Baton Rouge, and they were great!!  I bought a gorgeous dress for $1400.. my moms budget was $5000. I told her that that was ridiculous.  But Bustle gives a discount if you pay in full and pay with check or cash.  I don't remember how much it was, but it made my mom happy!  And they were the best in service out of the 5 I went to!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found my dress at The Bridal Boutique. It was a Maggie Sottero and it was $1400 (the Maggie Sottero Brandy). I told them my budget was $2000 and that I had to have a silk gown and Allison, my consultant, was still able to pull about a dozen gowns for me. Good luck on choosing the perfect gown!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dress was a Maggie and I got it from Debbie's Bridal in Gonzales. I received 15% off if I paid in full. Debbie's doesn't have a whole lot of dresses in stock for you to try on, but she can order Maggies. I actually found mine at Bridal Boutique and ordered it from Debbie. The staff at Debbie's is incredible and my alterations were only $100.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One more thing, I went to Pearls Place to try on dresses on a Saturday and some really ticked off Mother of the Bride busted up in there with a dress. It was her daughter's wedding day and the dress still had the pins in it and had never been altered. Sure, they should have double checked before they left, but it's still not something you want to have happen.
  • Options
    hailie+jeffhailie+jeff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found a GREAT dress at Bridal Boutique on Florida Blvd. for $725! I am in love with it......my budget was $1000. 
  • Options
    alexladalexlad member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my dress is maggie sottero rhianna royale. I got it at pearls place for $1400. My budget was $2300.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had no clue what my budget was until my mother and I stepped in a Demetrios Bridal Salon in St Louis and a consultant asked my mom our price point. Surprisingly she said $3,000 which I thought was way too much. Luckily I found my dress at Gabrielle's for $1800 not including alterations, and its fabulous.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

i came in under a thousand with alterations the dress was around 700

• Options
    ceruiz9ceruiz9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My budget was $1000. I saw a Mon Cheri gown in a bridal magazine and fell in love with it! I went on Mon Cheri's website to find stores in the Baton Rouge area that carried their dresses. I went to Bridal Boutique on Florida first and asked to try on 2 Mon Cheri dresses I had seen on the website. They told me that they do sell Mon Cheri gowns but that the only way I could try on any of the two dresses I chose, I would have to order and pay for one. Why would I do that? I was very upset! I'm originally from Gonzales so I left Bridal Boutique and went to Debbie's Bridal in Gonzales. Debbie's didn't have the gowns in stock either. BUT...... They were waiting for one of the two dresses to come in and then she told me she would order the other dress for me to try on. As soon as they came in, I went in to try them on and ended up purchasing one of the two. The dress was over my budget but I'm the youngest of four and the last one in my family to get married so my mom didn't mind the extra $400. Debbie's also has an onsite alteration lady. My dress fit perfect after alterations and I loved the way she did my bustle.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards