Louisiana-Baton Rouge
Options

On a budget and wondering...

Hi everyone, my names Alexia and I just got engaged on the 26th of November, Greatest Thanksgiving ever, anyways, my wedding isn't scheduled til May of 2011. But only because I am currently in California finishing up school before I move back to Baton Rouge in November of 2010. But I have already started venue hunting because I know some places book way in advance. Okay but enough back story here's my question: I'm trying to figure out if I would come out cheaper by going to an all-inclusive or by booking a venue and hiring seperate vendors? My budget is only 15K-5k my parents, 5k his mom, and 5k from us. Alot of places seem to be going just above what I want to spend on my reception-6.5k at the most. Any responses at all would be greatly appreciated. I know we're all busy brides-to-be. Thank you in Advance.

Re: On a budget and wondering...

• Options
    kbarron1kbarron1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will tell you what our experience has been.....

We are getting married at the Old Governors Mansion (which is a hire your own vendor type place) and are having 150 guests with a pretty good catering package and beer and wine for the bar (this was a last minute decision to downgrade due to budget and due to hoping that not too many guests overindulge) and we are coming out right at your budget.  There are places you can splurge and places you can save, it just depends on what is important to you and of course on how many people you have.

Okay, now on to really answer your question. 
    We also looked at White Oak Planatation and found it to be more expensive for less things than the OGM.  They will say that the minimum wedding has to be $5000.  BUT the catch is that you have to add 18% gratuity to that, so another $900 and then add tax on top of that so roughly another $600.  So, by the time you are done, you are at $6500 for the lowest package of food, and probably not even beer/wine/liquor or cake. 

So, in short, I believe you save by going vendor by vendor rather than a package deal b/c where the package gets you is they tack on 15-18% gratuity onto your whole package (even your building rental fee)....tell me they need to have gratuity b/c you rented a building?!?!?  Then, you pay tax on top of that.  So, I definitely think it is worth checking into vendor by vendor places. 
    Sorry it is long, but just wanted to share!  Happy Planning!
  • Options
    JamaicanLUVJamaicanLUV member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the response Karla. I think that's the route I'm gonna go, cause everytime I find a package I think I like, I always find something I really want missing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Karla, who are you using for your caterer?  I can't wait to see your pictures and hear your vendor reviews, etc, since I'm getting married at the OGM too and am still in the process of booking vendors!  If you have specific advice on dos and donts from the ceremony/reception, could you email me? racheltemple55@gmail.com

Alexia, I'm in the same boat as Karla - we chose the Old Governor's Mansion and I am going to the diy route on things I can save on (centerpieces, flowers, decor, etc) which is great, but I'm also finding unexpected costs on things that I think are outrageous (have to rent chairs, tables, linens...chairs alone are $8 each!) I"m having a hard time staying on budget, which is around 20k.  At least at an all-inclusive place you won't have to worry about stressing over decisions like which caterer and which company to rent chairs from. haha  GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    JamaicanLUVJamaicanLUV member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CJ that's one of my fears as well, is trying to wrangle up all te things included in the packages on my own. I keep feeling like I'm going to forget something.
  • Options
    kbarron1kbarron1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there!  I am using Bayou Bistro for my catering.  I have so many good vendors that I can't wait.  Our wedding is this Friday night so I will post as soon as we are back from Hawaii! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been married for just under a year and I just want to tell you my experience.

We had our ceremony and reception at The Gatehouse which is all inclusive. It was wonderful. It was definitely in my price range and I didn't have to worry about the hidden costs if you have to do everything yourself. I had a wedding coordinator that listened to everything I wanted and did everything for me. The best part, she's included in the price of The Gatehouse.

My venue cost just over $4,000 and that included the DJ, cake, food, alcohol, ceremony decorations that I was able to pick out myself, and gratuity.

There are several venues that provide all inclusive packages for a reasonable price. I also looked into White Oak plantation and they are quite pricey. All that is included with White Oak is the rental of the facility and the catering package. Wedding cake, DJ, any decor, and chair covers you have to provide youself. If I had my wedding there, it would have cost me about 25,000 with every cost.

Shop around at different venues. Sit down with a budget and figure out what everything will cost. I made an excel sheet and when I put my two top venues next to each other, I realized how much I was going to save by booking an all inclusive. Everyone raved about my wedding and how beautiful and fabulous the food was. People are still talking about it!

Good luck to you!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    coco74coco74 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im having my reception at Forrest Grove in Denham Springs.  They have MUCH better prices than a lot of other places in Baton Rouge.  Their food is great and we are getting a really great deal.  We are having around 150 people, with the more expensive menu AND beer and wine we are coming out around $5900.  They don't include gratuity in your package so that saves you a lot of money!  This way, we can just give them money at the end of the night, amount to be determined upon service.  They don't do cakes or flowers, but this helps you save money also.  It gives you a chance to shop around and get a better price.  Good Luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Karla!! I can't wait to hear all about the wedding! Bayou Bistro is my caterer too so please definitely post reviews about all your vendors!  Have fun in Hawaii!!!!!
  • Options
    courtyncampincourtyncampin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many guests are you planning on having?  I'm getting married at a local church and having the reception at Elegant Affairs in Gonzales (I know Gonzales SOUNDS far from Baton Rouge, but it depends on your location!).  Your budget is more than ours, but we are able to afford Elegant Affairs.  It's about $30/person.  If you want to add beer/wine it's an additional $5/person which isn't bad at all!  This includes reception, food, BOTH cakes, DJ, etc. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also having my wedding at the Gatehouse-- and I am SO THRILLED. They include everything except the photographer and florist, and the coordinator is absolutely wonderful.

I am spending around $5,000 on the reception for catering, coordinator, DJ, cake, and beer and wine. I'll be spending $1500 on my photographer and about $900 on flowers.

A great wedding can be done on a reasonable budget! AND you can do all-inclusive, you just have to keep looking. I got really discouraged at first (I also looked at White Oak as well as some other places). Just keep trying! Having it all done for me is soooooo worth it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding and reception at the Old State Capitol in Baton Rouge.  Just to rent the place is $4,500 and that includes the tables and chairs.  They will set up and take down the tables and chairs and that's about it.  The good thing is that they only book one event a weekend.  I will be able to go in on Friday night to decorate for our afternoon wedding on Saturday.  I haven't picked a caterer or florist, but i think I have decided on a baker for the cake.  Sugah Rush just opened in Plaquemine and I used to work with the girl that owns it.  She does wonderful cakes and other goodies and I'm sure her proces are more reasonable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey ladies! I wanted to share with some of you who have mentioned linen rental that I found someone with BEAUTIFUL linens and GREAT prices!!! The place is called 'A Narcissus Affair' The number is 225-663-8582 and the website is http://www.narcissusaffair.com/index.html.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hi,

I was reading your post about spending $4,000 on wedding and reception at the Gatehouse, and I was wondering how many guests that served?

I'm budgeting for 150 guests, and I was quoted $33 per person for food, $8 for the bar, 18% gratuity, 9% tax, $500 for the ceremony, $3 per chair, etc....so that's turning out to be around $7,660.

I was hoping to be keeping all costs under $10,000.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards