Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Oak Alley or elsewhere

Has anyone had their wedding here?  I want an outdoor ceremony and an outdoor tented reception (seated dinner) for about 250 people.  Is this a good place for that?  (or do you have another suggestion)I am an OOT bride and trying to decide which places to look at on my recon trip.thanks!

Re: Oak Alley or elsewhere

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did not have my wedding at Oak Alley, but it was what started my love for wanting to get married in New Orleans.  The problem with Oak Alley is there is no Plan B. The ceremony and reception are outside, if it rains, you cannot move everything inside the plantation as it is a historical site. They will not put a tent up, as they are concerned about damaging the grounds and the oaks (at least when I asked 2 years ago they were not allowing tents).  The other thing that swayed me away from OA is that it is in the middle of nowhere, the only accomodations I saw in the area were a few guest houses on the property.  If you are looking for that plantation feel, I recommend Southern Oaks Plantation. Your ceremony will be outside, however the reception is held inside. The location is absolutely gorgeous and the staff is incredible! I am an OOT bride and having everything there made my planning so much easier!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is also San Fransico Plantation in Garyville Louisiana, its only 30 mins from new orleans, so u could still do stuff in new orelans. If you have and any questions call the number on the website and ask for Mrs. Kim! Im getting married there in 9 days!!!
  • Options
    lous22lous22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I REALLY wanted to get married at Oak Alley- that's where my fiance proposed! But the people were a pain to deal with. They have so many rules! No kids, no red wine, there's no plan B if it rains, they charge an extra photography fee on top of what you pay the photographer yourself (since its a historical home), the list goes on and on. Its also kind of expensive- not sure what your budget is. Plus like someone else said its in the middle of nowhere and its kind of hard to get to. I was worried about my guests getting lost. There aren't any hotels around so everyone would have to drive back to NOLA after, and that was a concern too if people had been drinking (especially on the little roads you ahve to travel on!) its a gorgeous place and I have so many wonderful memories there, but planning a wedding at that plantation seemed like way too much work! A small ceremony could work, but anything over 50 guests might be too stressful. Just my opinion though. Try some other plantations- they may be easier to work with.  But I understand your love for Oak Alley- its beautiful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi,  Lara and JP looked at Oak Alley and loved it too.  Most NOLA brides who choose it hire buses to transport guests. Try paging LTF525 on the New Orleans Nest board. Lindsay had a gorgeous wedding there 3 years ago.  Lara's wedding was at the Board of Trade - you can see it in the video clip in my siggy.  Good luckbetsy
  • Options
    haebalehaebale member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    was planning to have my wedding at oak alley also.
    seems like a lot of issues with them can anyone give me a full list of the problems?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards