Louisiana-New Orleans

DJ vs. Band vs. iPod

I'm just starting to put the budget together, but am already concerned about the expenses of a band or DJ. I'm nervous about doing the iPod self-DJ thing, but it seems worth exploring if it saves us money. Plus, it seems more personal than a DJ, who can sometimes be cheesy. So, here is a multi-part question: * How pricey are bands, such a brass band like the Treme Brass Band? * Have people found DJs they've liked? My concern with the DJ is that they sometimes are overbearing and ruin the mood. * Anybody tried the iPod thing and have any tips on sound system vendors?

Re: DJ vs. Band vs. iPod

• edited December 2011
    Hey, I ended up going with a DJ that I really like and am comfortable with for my wedding but I thought about the same thing, kinda. I did some research and this is why I decided to book a DJ. 1.) Many bands take breaks and when they do, they just put on an Ipod like a DJ anyway. 2.) A lot of the bands I talked to knew somewhere around 100 songs, which I was told is way more than will be played at my reception, but the DJ's I talked to had thousands and because of that would be able to take more requests. 3.) My DJ is also letting me tell him what kind of music I like, don't like, and is letting me make specific requests. 4.) He's also going to make the announcements and control the flow of the event which alot of bands don't do and he's allowed me to tell him how much talking I want him to do after that. 5.) I never considered an Ipod because I thought it would be too informal, plus I'd have to appoint someone to watch over it anyway, why not just pay a professional, right? 6.) Plus, in DJ vs. Band, I got a lot more versatility and saved a bunch more money so I could hire my videographer! I'm sure everyone has different opinions, these are just mine. Hope it helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Forgot to post this video I saw...check this out, another reason why not to go IPOD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXj4P3iz2yg
  • edited December 2011
    I found this brass band that I think would be great for a reception:http://www.drjazzmusic.com/The guy that I contacted is really nice, and sent me a cd and information in the mail within 2 days. I think their prices are very reasonable for live music.DJ verses Band?I would pick a DJ if my wedding were any where else besides New Orleans because I think they're a little more inviting for guests to dance. BUT it's New Orleans!! And it would be such a memorable party to have an authentic jazz band present. People from out of town will love to see that! I am going to cut back on flowers to allow for the band. I think it'll be worth it!Hope this helps! Good luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the previous poster; I would probably get a dj anywhere else, but in this city you have so much talent available that you should try to take advantage if you can!  I am working on a really tight budget, but had the same concern about the DJ being kind of cheesy.  I went with Sunpie Barnes and the Louisiana Sunspots - his cost was half as much as any of the other typical wedding bands, same pricing as Dr. Jazz, and he plays authentic zydeco, Louisiana blues and gets people up and dancing.  Check out his myspace and he also plays at Dos Jefes most Saturday nights.  My opinion is that there are so many musicians in this city you dont HAVE to break the budget on the typical wedding band if you get creative!  There are lots of people that will be willing to play and get their names out there.  Check out some live local music and find a band you really like that will work in your budget!  You will not regret it.
  • lous22lous22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ended up going with a DJ. I chose Countdown Sound.  My reception is at Le Pavillion Hotel and the wedding coordinator there said she always recommends them.  They even played at her own daughter's reception.  She's been in the wedding business for many years and she said they were the most professional and took up a lot less room than a band- plus a DJ isn't as loud. I was just at a wedding and the band was so loud that people had to scream to hear one another. It was like being at a concert instead of a reception.  Also...the DJ is just over 400 bucks, and the band I was looking at was 2,000. I saved lots of money and they've been a pleasure to work with so far!  I also got to pick each song played at the reception- they have thousands to choose from.  And as far as being obnoxious goes...my DJ let me choose how involved I wanted him to be.  I told him to just play music and nothing else, and he said that's what most people tell him!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I agree that it would be nice to have a band -- as it is New Orleans -- the price may be too much. Plus, you can just go out after rehearsal dinner and wedding and take in some music on Frenchmen. But I will look into it to see if it can work out. I appreciate the DJ suggestion. Any other ones would be appreciated. L
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using David Storm with Omega Sound & Entertainment. He's been real easy to work with, he's got this cool online area where I tell him what I want to play. His prices are much more affordable than alot of other guys I called and I see his name on here alot so I guess a lot of other girls on the board are using him too so I'm sure you can ask around about him, but he's my favorite vendor to work with so far. www. bellapose dot com. Good Luck!
  • marleemillermarleemiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer bands as well...especially in New Orleans. We decided to go with the CoolBone Brass Band. We are using them for the entire wedding at a very good price.  Many of the popular wedding bands in New Orleans are around $3500, but the Cool Bone Brass Band is way less than that.  They have a TON of songs to choose from in all different genres.   My one big concern was that most of my guests were from out of town and might get sick of hearing brass music the whole time.  But we are doing at least 3 thirty minute breaks where we will play on our music. the band does not have their own PA system for you to play your IPOD, but my venue has a PA system so we are using that.  We get to choose the exact songs we want to play during the break so for us it is a win win. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards