Louisiana-New Orleans

Questions for Southern Oaks Plantation Brides

Hi there!
Wow, this board has been so incredibly helpful!  I cannot thank everyone enough for the suggestions and useful information!
I am an OOT bride, and we're thinking about having everything at Southern Oaks in the fall of 2010.  I am worried that the last date available will be gone before we are able to visit the venue.  For those who have gotten married there, what do you think?  All of the posts have been really helpful- I can't find anything wrong with it!  Any things we should be concerned about?
How do the flowers work?  It says they're included in the price?  Is this for any type of flower or can you only pick specific kinds?
Did you find that you needed a wedding coordiator even though most things are included?
How was the food?  This is really important to us....
Were the fireworks worth $2k?
Again, I really appreciate your help! The photos of weddings at SOP on this board are truly fantastic!

Best wishes,
Meghan

Re: Questions for Southern Oaks Plantation Brides

• edited December 2011
    I would have booked Southern Oaks without seeing it....the place is absolutely STUNNING, both inside and out...everything is immaculate.  There really isn't anything to be concerned about.  As far as flowers being included in the price, they are talking about their silk arrangements in the photography room, as well as the silk arrangements on the tables....they are beautiful and we did not feel the need to pay $25 a table for real flowers. We did however work with a florist for our bouquets, bouts, corsages and we ordered 2 large arrangements for the patio for our ceremony (which were then moved inside behind our cake).  You absolutely do not need a wedding coordinator, and they will actually ask that you do not book one. They are so on top of everything that it is like having your own coordinator, Kyle will send you their recommended vendor list, so that may help with choosing vendors, as these people have good standing with SOP. Kyle will go over everything with you at your rehearsal a few days before the big day, and he also is quick responding to emails and phone calls, being an OOT bride myself I reached out to him quite a bit!  Kyle is also there on your big day, and you and your husband each have your own attendant that also takes care of your parents. They are there to take care of your every need, they will help you bustle your dress if need be, help the ceremony run smoothly, fluff your dress, my drink was never empty, they got us all setup for our private candlelight dinner (which I highly recommend - it gives you and your new hubby 10-15 minutes alone to eat and enjoy each other's company.)

The food...where do I even begin.....BEST WEDDING FOOD I HAVE EVER HAD!!! Our guests are still raving to us about how great the food was, not one bad thing.  My only complaint is that I didn't get a chance to try everything! :)  Tell Kyle you want the servers to come around to you and hubby with more food once you are out in the ballroom. They also sent us home with a bazillion boxes of food, which made for a great late night/morning snack!

I absolutely think the fireworks were worth the money. How many people do you know that have fireworks after their ceremony?! Our guests were blown away by it. We purchased the cheapest fireworks package and could not believe how amazing it was, we kept saying to each other - "this is the cheapest package?!?!" I actually got teary eyed when they were going off because it was just so amazing.

The only recommendations I could make to you are, if you can afford $3100 (price may be more now, this was what we were quoted), add the extra hour onto your reception.....being from up north, 3 hours was just not enough, I felt like I hardly had time to dance or chat (I did, but it wasn't enough!)....although I would still most likely be saying this with 4 hours, but I think you get the point.  If you plan to do a second line, ask that your attendant tells you in advance when it will be, so you can make sure you have your umbrella, etc.  I would also recommend seeing your fiance before the ceremony and taking a lot of your pictures then (at least the ones with you and him, and your wedding party).  There is not much time between the ceremony and reception and you are going to want to get the party started as soon as possible.  Also, if you and your hubby can sneak away out front to take some pics, do it! We grabbed our photog at the end of the night and went out back and got some amazing shots!

Check out the link in my siggy for my bio.....I have all of my planning stuff on there. And feel free to drop me an email if you have any other questions: tracys325 at comcast dot net

I can assure you, you will not be dissapointed with SOP! My wedding was a dream come true.....a real fairytale.
  • kbsmom1kbsmom1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Tracy said most everything I would have...just a few extras.....we too had a date crunch....only one weekend left..but we had visited the site and knew that SOP was what we were looking for.....the only difference was KB had a church ceremony then the reception at SOP. I mailed a check back on the way back to Atlanta because I was afraid the date would vanish.
    As Tracy said the food is unbelievably good, we still have friends and family commenting 2 years later.  I was a little wary since there was no tasting but the groom had been to multiple weddings there and assured us it would be awesome. It was.
    If you can go for the 4th hour, it all goes by so quickly. Our OOT guests loved the second line....gave a real taste of NO for all the Georgia people. We did not do fireworks...at the time permits were not being given out.....so Bobby did popping gold streamers...really beautiful and we didn't even know it was going to happen.
    With everything said.....there are lots of lovely venues in NO....so if you don't feel comfortable choosing a venue without seeing it don't pressure yourself
  • edited December 2011

we are getting married there in february 2011 and i would have booked it without seeing it.

for you who have already got married. how did the who one hour thing work out. im sor nervous b/c we are staying in n.o. for the night and its mardi gras season so parades are giving up problems.

• edited December 2011
    thanks for the responses!  Did anyone have a live band there?  That is important to us, but they seem to be a little funny about it......also, how was it to not have plates or real silverware?  Just trying to make sure about SOP!  Thanks so much!
  • kbsmom1kbsmom1 member
    edited December 2011
    yes they are picky about bands....mostly bc the set up area is small...and they were concerned about excess craziness......anyway we use Harvey Jesus and FIre.......who happens to be a close friend of Bobby's and he trusted.....we LOVED the band....played every kind of music we wanted, all types......we gave a song list...he had some fun situations with the Bride and Groom..never took a break....and did a second line even though we had one a the beginning of the night...not many brides talk about him but we had an awesome night ( mist guests were 29somethings)....btw his website dosen't do him justice)
    ps....our Ga friends want kb and z to do a renewal party with them here...
  • kbsmom1kbsmom1 member
    edited December 2011
    re thats 20somethings....no worry about the plates, silver and glassware.....I was worried also....but SOP is so elegant you really don't notice......
    meant to say this before...SOP is in New Orleans east and still no very populated since Katrina.....it is far from the Quarter so we used transportation for our guests and our room blocks were in the FQ...
  • edited December 2011
    lilmiss - what do you mean the whole hour thing? Adding the extra hour?

We did not have a band, but it seems as long as you get approval from SOP and pay the fees required it is ok. 

We also hired 2 Nola Tours coach buses to transport our guests from the hotel to SOP - as it is 20 minutes outside of the quarter, and everyone raved about that as well. We wanted to keep costs down for our OOTers as much as we could!
  • edited December 2011
    the hour that they give you before (when they open the gates to let you in)
  • edembinskyedembinsky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi All!  I am getting married at SOP in October 2010, and have most of the planning done.  What we need help with is finding a Justice of the Peace to conduct the ceremony.  Does anyone have a suggestion.  We are from out of town and will not be visiting before the wedding.  I hate to book someone without ever meeting and so I would really love some feedback if you have it.  Thanks!
  • Saints9414Saints9414 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm new to the knot and just recently book a date at Southern Oaks. I'm in and out of town so I picked a place that can make me feel at ease. Trust me! This is the place to go! I can't get over how professional and orginized they are. And they are so nice! The flowers are beautiful and it goes with any bridesmaids colors. You can go on the web site to get a better look. As for the food, I asked local vendors (videographers, photographers etc.) and everyone said it was THE BEST!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards