Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

eloping to NOLA- have questions for locals

hi, ya'll!  i'm eloping to new orleans next year with just friends and family and we're having a small wedding in new orleans city park.  we're being very casual about the plans and having a picnic reception in the park.  i'd like to find a nice, CHEAP restaurant for us to have lunch or dinner the night before.  i'd also like to find some really cool things to do in the city that are low cost or free, and some that are family friendly (i have a toddler and my friend will be bringing her toddler, too).  i'd love to hear any ideas everyone has.  thanks in advance!

Re: eloping to NOLA- have questions for locals

• Options
    also, i need ideas on nice, inexpensive florist (sounds impossible, right?) and a great bakery that has cupcakes!
  • Options

For the cupcakes, try Sam's (there's one in Metairie on  Airline) .  You have to order them from the bakery counter and I think they will make the icing any color you want.  I did this for a bridal shower a few years ago. They were much more reasonable than the cupcake specialty stores.
    As for the restaurant, what part of town are you staying?

• Options
    I'd recommend Katie's.  But then again, for pretty much any question of where to eat, I'd recommend Katie's.. :)  a lot of variety and the prices aren't too high. 
    http://www.katiesinmidcity.com/

But honestly, you won't have a problem with finding somewhere reasonable to eat at in NOLA.  A lot of the best places are pretty cheap!

Depending on what you want with florals, maybe try to contact Whole Foods.  I know some ladies on here have posted about bouqets from there. 

As far as things to do - of course in City Park there is a little amusement park.  And the zoo and aquarium would be great for kids too.  What time of year are you eloping?
  • Options
    we're getting married march 24, 2014.  what is the weather usually like that time of year?

that you both so much for your suggestions!  even though it's a year away i still have a lot to figure out, and it's harder not being in the area.
  • Options
    katie's had me at cheese garlic bread!  LOL.

is there any place that can cater creole favorites like gumbo and jambalya?  we're having a picnic reception and i thought it would be nice to include some local favs in the picnic baskets.  again, i'm thinking inexpensive!!  :)
  • Options
    I just sent you a PM re: things to do
  • Options
    Try Liberty's Kitchen for catering.  They're close to City Park and very reasonable. 
  • Options
    i LOVE the idea of using liberty's kitchen!  what an awesome place!  their menu also gave me the idea of putting pralines in our wedding favor boxes.  our wedding favors are boxes of goodies from my hometown (birmingham, al) and my fiance's home town (cadillac, michigan) and i think it would be great to add something from new orleans, like pralines.

keep the ideas coming, ladies!  this is helping me soooo much!  it's so hard to plan a wedding when you're not in the same city, ya know?
  • Options
    Depending on how casual the reception will be, you could hire someone to boil crawfish!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards