Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Honeymoon in New Orleans questions

Hey there New Orleans locals; my FI and I are considering a stop in NO for part of our honeymoon but that's raised a bunch of questions that I'd be greatful if any locals could help with.  Just some background on us, we're not outdoors types, we like to party, gamble, eat, drink and that kind of thing, so we figured New Orleans might be a fun place to stop since I've never been there and she's only been for a conference once.  We don't know any locals.  So.... questions:

1) First and foremost, how is the french quarter with regard to being rebuilt and from a safety perspective?  We've heard opinions of non-locals ranging from everything was destroyed and is hardly livable to it's been fully rebuilt and is great.

2) We'd probably be there from a Tuesday to a Saturday morning.  And it's a honeymoon.  With that in mind, any recommendations on where we should stay and places we should visit while we're there?  Not really concerned about price, so would prefer to look at nice modern/contemporary hotels.  For our interests, is that too long or too short a period of time?

3) Places we should avoid?

4) Rent a car or forget about it and do cabs?

Thanks!

Married in Vegas - June 2011

Re: Honeymoon in New Orleans questions

• Options
    cm10/10cm10/10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've lived here my whole life and IMO, the FQ has never looked better.  For safety- I'd say it's just like any other big city- stay in well lit, populated areas and don't go down any dark, empty streets late at night.
    I don't think you'd need to rent a car if you plan on staying in the city.  You can walk around the whole FQ, take a streetcar uptown or cab it anywhere.  Plus, if you rent a car, it's expensive to park.
    I don't really know the hotels that well, but for contemporary, I'd suggest the W.  Other ideas are Harrah's Hotel, or the Monteleone for romance.
    Have Fun!
  • Options
    lbmsrlotrlbmsrlotr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Welcome to the Big Easy!

No, the French Quarter remained intact after Katrina. It is the oldest part of our city proper & was built on the highest point. If you stay downtown, you would never know that we sustained that storm. I would discourage sight-seeing in areas of the city that still show the scars of Katrina...those areas can be kinda sketchy.

You don't need to rent a car if you plan to stay at a downtown hotel, but I would get an advance estimate of the cost of a cab ride from the airport (appx 30 min from downtown). Cab drivers in any city may want to take advantage of tourists.

Check into the Omni, Windsor Court, Royal Orleans, Royal Sonesta, Roosevelt. If you want modern/contemporary, check into the W Hotel.

You may also want to refrain from wearing any football-related items, unless it is for the Saints. We've got some die-hard fans here & some of the crazies can get offended.

Stay on the brightly lit, well populated streets in the FQ. Use a purse with a strap long enough to go around you (i.e. diagonally over right shoulder across to left hip) . Keep $20 in your shoe. If (God forbid), you get held up...you want to give them some money...and have something for yourself in that time of need.

If you are asked where you got your shoes...the answer is "on my feet".

The main parts of the FQ are fabulous & you'll have a great time. Go to Pat O'Brians & have a grenade. Go to Cats Meow & have their signature drink. Go to Marie Laveaux's & House of Blues & Cafe Du Monde & the French Market & the River Walk & Jackson Square. Take a ride on the streetcars! Go to Mothers & Maspero's for great po-boys.

Learn how to be a "yat" & say "How's ur mamma & dem?", "Where y'at?" and most importantly "WHO DAT"

Hope this helps! Good luck! Laughing

Lori

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info!  I'll start looking into some of the hotels you both mentioned.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  I'm not a local but I travel there a lot and I'm helping my daughter plan her wedding there.  Parking in the French Quarter is a nightmare and driving in the French Quarter can be confusing - streets are narrow and most are one way.  Most hotels will charge an additional $30 per night for parking.  We walk everywhere we want to go in the French Quarter.  If it's late, we avoid dark lonely streets but we've never had problems. 

If you like modern, the W as already mentioned and also the Loew's in the French Quarter.  You might like Harrah's also.  The Royal Sonesta is one of my favorites and very romantic (not modern decor though).  Another romantic hotel with a beautiful courtyard is the Maison Dupuy.  It's pretty centrally located in the quarter but not really close to any one thing.  You will always have something of a walk from there.  

There's a lot to see and do at the Canal side of the FQ which is where you will find the other hotels.   The Omni is gorgeous and has the best view of the French Quarter from the roof top.  Even if you don't stay there, it's worth seeing and they have a nice bar downstairs.

Take a cab from the airport shuttle.  It's not much more expensive than the shuttle and the shuttle is a long drive in.

You might want to take the street car up St Charles and check out the beautiful homes and architecture.  You can take it to the Audubon Zoo / Tulane walk around a bit and either enjoy up town or head back down.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!
  • Options
    phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the amount of time you have planned is perfect...not too long but not too short to do some partying, sightseeing, and gambling.  Also, I agree, much easier not to bother with a rental car, especially if you plan on remaining primarily in the French Quarter.  The French Quarter is easily walkable, only 13 x 6 blocks, but there is plenty to do!  As far as safety, you shouldn't have too much to worry about in the French Quarter...just use common sense like you would in any other city. 

Definitely drink a hurricane at Pat O's...but maybe don't drink 2...they are stronger than they taste!!  Napoleon House is also a cool/historic place to have a cocktail.    There's always Harrah's of course for gambling.  And it is definitely a little hokey, but I took an out of town friend on a walking Ghost Tour in the French Quarter and we had a good time!  If you are foodies, there are a lot of mediocre and overpriced tourist trap restaurants in the Quarter that you may want to avoid...and there are some truly amazing restaurants also.  Read up a little on restaurants and maybe consider a cab ride to a different part of town to a historic or renowned restaurant (Commander's Palace, Lilette, Jacques Imo's).  Also, Bourbon Street is great fun, but if you're looking to hear some good music (as opposed to a Bon Jovi cover band...not hating if that's your thing...) then go to Frenchman Street...which I would describe as something of a locals Bourbon Street.

Have an awesome time!!
  • Options
    meredithcheekmeredithcheek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    make sure its the W French Quarter, I think on Chartres and not the W on Poydras.  The hotel is fabulous!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad to hear you're honeymooning in NOLA! :) Yay!

Some of this has already been said, but my 2 cents as well:
    -I'm surprised that people said the FQ was damaged in the hurricane.  I think you might have misheard them, actually.  The FQ absolutely was not damaged, everyone knows that!! The lower-lying areas ("suburbs"/further out) were damaged, not the FQ.
    -I second the W for hotels, though it's nicer/more expensive, so it depends on your price range.
    -Don't rent a car! It will just cause you headaches. You can walk or take a streetcar easily (or just take a cab if it's further out).
    -See if the hotel has a shuttle from the airport, b/c the airport is actually in Kenner (suburb), not the city itself.
    -Safety: As long as you don't make "bad decisions" (walk down a sketchy alley, etc), you should be FINE.  I feel safer walking around the streets of the FQ by myself, then I do walking....almost anywhere in my current city (Los Angeles). For real.

My recommendations in no particular order (feel free to correct me b/c I do not live in NOLA currently tho I grew up there). You can google these to get the location, etc:
    -To take a break from seafood - Port O'Call for burgers and yummy (but STRONG) mixed drinks on Frenchman Street (on the outside of the Quarter so a little further out).
    -Preservation Hall to watch the live jazz performances - you have to get tickets beforehand so go there early to reserve tickets for a later show, or I think you can order online
    -Definitely Pat O'Briens!
    -Cats Meow (on Bourbon with the balcony) to watch and/or participate in karaoke, and go to the balcony upstairs - crazy!
    -A fun little dance club I used to go to is The Gold Mine, it's small but they would party hard there, lol, but this might have changed
    -Tropical Isle for hurricanes and hand grenade drinks (per a PP, don't drink more than 1, though you'll want to... ;) )
    -They have carriage rides and various different tours like Haunted History Tours, other walking tours of New Orleans, if you are into that :) . There's so much interesting history of our city, I can't even remember it all.
    -You can check out the shopping center at the Riverwalk and also the Aquarium is fun for during the day
    -A must: Cafe du Monde and walking around Jackson Square
    -The Audobon Zoo is fun, though you'll need to take the streetcar to get there as it's Uptown, not in the Quarter. It's right across from Tulane University.  They have Komodo dragons there!  (At the zoo, not Tulane).
    -During the day - Mother's Grocery and get a muffalatta (I prob spelled that wrong) - you won't regret it!
    -Lafitte's piano bar (on the...is it the east side of the Quarter?). If the same old man is there playing the piano, he is hilaroius.
    -Oz, the gay dance club (that was true when I was there, at least). Very fun and they have glow sticks!
    -There is also a restaurant by Oz that Tennessee Williams supposedly wrote some of his works at, though the name now escapes me.
    -If you want to catch some concerts (which I recommend), you can look at The Howling Wolf, Tipitinas websites (there are so many!). You can also look at http://www.offbeat.com/ .
    -If you go to Fat Katz club, the group Kanection band plays there every Mon-Thurs, they were on the show Treme.

Ok I'll stop there for now lol.  Those are "places I'd tell a tourist to definitely go to."  I also have suggestions for Uptown if you want to go there, just lemme know.

Have fun!!!! Laughing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_honeymoon-new-orleans-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:2b67e36a-73fb-4a4c-8ff8-efc7cb892494Post:2f233887-0be0-4c3f-bac4-024ea9a82393">Re: Honeymoon in New Orleans questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also have suggestions for Uptown if you want to go there, just lemme know. Have fun!!!!
    Posted by whereyat[/QUOTE]

Sure I'd check it out; everything is sounding great so far.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If anyone suggests that you go to Bourbon Street, ignore them. Well, go once, just to say you did it, and definitely have a Hand Grenade (they are also deceptively strong). After that, you check out Washboard Chaz at Blue Nile or whoever is playing at Snug Harbor (both on Frenchmen St).

Ditto what everyone has said about renting a car - don't do it. There won't be anywhere to park, anyway. Anywhere you might want to go can probably be reached on foot. Normally, I'm very opposed to walking, but one of my favorite things to do is stroll around the French Quarter on the weekends.

I don't know if you like to shop, but definitely take some time to walk down Royal Street. They have a lot of independently owned, quirky shops that sell just about anything.

For that matter, the majority of shops close down between 4-6. Restaurants typically close around 9-10.

Be nice to the street musicians and performers.

Try to go to Cafe du Monde sometime in the afternoon, and be sure to avoid wearing dark colors. There is an acrobatic group that performs on the steps across the street from St. Louis Cathedral, which is right next to the beignet shop; they are amazing.

Skip Port O' Call - ever since they've been under new ownership/managementm their burgers suck. It's a real shame, too...

There is a little place called Irene's. I can't remember the intersection, but you can google it. Get there for about 5:30 or 6, because if you wait any later, the wait can get up to 2 hours long. Trust me, the food is so worth it.

Check out the Hotel Monteleone. Even if you don't stay there, you should go get a drink at their famous Carousel Bar. It's pretty freakin cool.

Oh, and one more thing. Despite what PP told you, do not try to be a "yat". Do not say "where yat" and do not say "how's yer mama and dem" and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do not say "Nawlins". It's hard to write how to pronounce it, but it's more like "Nworlins". We are very, very nice to visitors, but tourists who come here and "try to be a local, yall!" are really irritating.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN! They don't call us the Big Easy for nothin!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Snug Harbor is small but has jazz bands that play there nightly and sometimes will have people like Charmaine Nevelle singing

snugjazz.com
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    ^^^ I would listen to the other posters' suggestions regarding the places I mentioned, since I am not currently living there (sigh).

I think there are kind of 2 "sides" of New Orleans (as there are for many large cities such as NY) - the "tourist" side and the "this is where the locals hang out" side.  I was giving you the "tourist" side which hey, you should definitely experience.  Since you will be there for a few days, you could probably experience both "sides."

Re: suggestions for Uptown, those are more of a "this is where the locals hang out" types of places (with the exception of Magazine Street), but hey since you have time, might as well go for it!

Uptown New Orleans/Garden District (note: you'll have to take a streetcar or cab):
    -Local bars: The Bulldog on Magazine Street, Balcony Bar, St. Joes-- />(MOST recommended, unless they've changed, they have Great blueberry mojitos).
    -Shopping on Magazine Street - a lot of cute little stores
    -Jacques'Imos restaurant - it's quite an experience! You'll be glad you don't have to drive after that...
    -Camelia Grill at "Riverbend" (reachable by streetcar) - very fun, breakfast at all hours.  There was a facebook page dedicated to its re-opening after Katrina.
    -While at Riverbend you can also check out Cooter Brown's (bar) for oysters.
    -The Maple Leaf Bar is GREAT for seeing local acts: http://mapleleafbar.com/ .
    -If you stroll up and down Maple St, there are various bars and restaurants which are quite fun, if more "chill" than Bourbon St.
    -St. Charles Avenue: Beautiful historic houses, this might be worth going on a tour to see, many of them have interesting stories behind them
    -Tipitina's "Uptown" (not to be confused with Tipitinas "French Quarter") has some great shows, just make sure you have the correct Tip's when you choose a show: http://www.tipitinas.com/
    -For the absolute end of the night: Ms. Mae's bar, Uptown - the later it is in the nite, the more you appreciate it...

Again, other ppl feel free to correct me if I'm not up-to-speed. 
    Have fun!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Vegas-

I think you guys would ave a great time in NOLA, and definitely love that you are planning to honeymoon in the city.

I would really suggest The Omni Royal Orleans, The Monteleone, The Roayl Sonesta, or The Roosevelt for your hotel choices, and I would definitely skip the rental car. Most of the hotels make you pay daily for valet parking, and its pretty much a waste if you are planning to stay central to the FQ.

For restaurant suggestions, you need to go to Central Grocery and get a mufaletta, they are simply the best in the world. Got to Muriel's at Jackson Square. Either go for a wonderful meal, or even a quick drink, and ask to sit outside on the upstairs balconey if there isn't a private event. You need to eat at Acme if you want some fried New Orlean's goodness, and any Brennan owned restaraunt will be top notch.

Of course you need to visit Cafe' DuMonde, go sit in the courtyard of Pat O'Brien's, walk to the Riverwalk, or visit the Aquarium if you like things like that. Make sure you ride the streetcar at least once, its a New Orleans tradition.

If you need any other planning tips or advice about the city email me at maggiegettingmarried at yahoo dot com.

Happy honeymoon!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I MUST ADD MY 2 CENTS, MOSTLY WHAT PEOPLE HAVE POSTED IS CORRECT BUT I HAVE A FEW OTHER SUGGESTIONS, 

~IF YOU WANT A  GREAT HOTEL, MY FAVORITE IS THE INTERNATIONAL HOUSE HOTEL ON CAMP STREET, IT'S ROMANTIC AND LUXURIOUS AND BEAUTIFULLY RENOVATED. AND THE BED IS HUGE!!!!! WINK-WINK. 

~PORT OF CALL IS A MUST FOR BURGERS! I GO THERE QUITE OFTEN AND THE BURGERS ARE STILL GREAT DISREGARD THE "NEW MANAGEMENT RANT". THE SERVICE ISN'T THE GREATEST AND DEPENDING ON WHEN YOU GO YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT AN HOUR OR MORE FOR A TABLE BUT IT'S WORTH IT.

~IF YOU WANT SOME INTERESTING SHOPPING THAT'S OFF THE BEATEN PATH A LITTLE TAKE A CAB TO MAGAZINE ST. THEY HAVE THE MOST AWESOME VINTAGE SHOPS AND SOME REALLY COOL SHOE AND CLOTHES BOUTIQUES. STOP IN AT BELLADONNA FOR A MASSAGE AND SOME SPA SERVICES.

~ YOU MUST EAT SOME AUTHENTIC CREOLE CUISINE WHICH MEANS YOU MUST GO TO EITHER OLIVIER'S IN THE QUARTER OR DOOKY CHASE ON ORLEANS AVE. IT IS A SHORT CAB RIDE FROM THE QUARTER ( I DON'T RECOMMEND WALKING BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO PASS THROUGH TREME WHICH IS A LITTLE SEEDY)

~EAT ICE CREAM AT CREOLE CREAMERY OR A SNOWBALL AT PLUM ST. SNOWBALLS (BOTH UPTOWN) 

~CATCH THE SUNSET OVER THE RIVER AT THE RIVERWALK.

~THE ZOO IS AWESOME, INSECTARIUM IS A MUST IF YOU LIKE BUGS. LOL

~ WAX MUSEUM IS REALLY COOL, 1850'S HOUSE IS INTERESTING AS WELL.

I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN NEW ORLEANS AND I LOVE SHOWING TOURISTS AROUND MY CITY, MESSAGE ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS! I WOULD LOVE TO HELP! HAPPY HONEYMOON!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey just wanted to thank you girls for the New Orleans suggestions.  I just got all our honeymoon stuff wrapped up today and for the New Orleans portion we'll be spending three nights in the "split level suite" of the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon Street.  The place looks pretty awesome and is right in the middle of everything; I was leaning towards the W at first because I like contemporary stuff a lot, but the split level suite has the bedroom upstairs by way of a spiral stairway and the rest of the suite downstairs, couldn't pass that up.

I'm going to go through all the suggestsions on things to do prior to hitting town and we'll try to get the best experience we can crammed into 3.5 days.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for following-up with us! I'm sure y'all will have a great time Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards