Louisiana-New Orleans

Trouble with Venue

I was about to send my signed contract and deposit check to Margaret Gardens, but I had a few questions regarding the contract first. I had viewed the venue twice and spoken via email several times with both venue owners. However, after I sent an email today asking several questions (including the cancellation policy, which was not in the contract at all), I received answers and then an email stating that I was overcomplicating things and that I would be happier with a different venue. They also stated that they weren't even making money on this deal, since they have a discount special running right now, and I was taking up too much of their time.

I then called the venue and was told that they didn't understand what I didn't understand about the contact (as I had asked for clarity on a few issues), and was told that the contract was very clear and the business partners would have to discuss if I was still going to be able to book their venue.

Finally, I received an email stating that there was some miscommunication and they would be happy to have me. My question is: Should I still go with this venue? I felt they had a very bad attitude and were quite rude to me and made me feel as if I was causing them trouble. I would understand if I had been overbearing, but I had merely sent a few emails in the course of several weeks, all with very basic questions. I am worried now that they will be difficult to work with from here on out, but at the same time, I was set on that venue and I'd have to almost start from scratch with my planning. In addition, several venues I also liked are now already booked. Is this a bad sign, or should I move forward with the contract?

Re: Trouble with Venue

• I'd find it very difficult to give them my money after that.  I'd also be worried they'd have a bad attitude in the future about my requests or details, given that someone there feels like they're not making any money on me!  I'm SOOO sorry this is happening to you but personally, if it were me, I wouldn't go ahead with them.
  • Thanks for the responses! I am still debating what to do. It wouldn't be such a big deal to find a new place, but our wedding is planned for Spring of next year, so many places we liked too are already totally booked. I don't want to start from scratch on my venue search but I also don't want to deal with even more problems in the coming months!
  • Trust your gut. If you're having problems now, imagine the problems later. They seem extremely unprofessional, and being that your wedding is in New Orleans, there has to be SOMEWHERE you can have your wedding. Good Luck!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_trouble-with-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:4037b68b-a21b-4ebc-b7a5-f96f2c1d37a6Post:8c8d2a2f-9301-466b-9408-cbec5f472b56">Re: Trouble with Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the responses! I am still debating what to do. It wouldn't be such a big deal to find a new place, but our wedding is planned for Spring of next year, so many places we liked too are already totally booked. I don't want to start from scratch on my venue search but I also don't want to deal with even more problems in the coming months!
    Posted by madlagrone[/QUOTE]
  • Wow.  I ask a ton of specific questions about everything in life (haha) and most definitely went it comes to binding contracts- not to mention for one of the most important and most expensive days of your life.  Asking about a cancellation policy is called common sense, not overcomplicating things.  If I got a response anywhere near what you got, I would not only run away, but I would give them the what for at the same time.  I don't know all of the details of course, but as pp said, trust your gut. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would definitely switch venues.  I had several questions about each and every contract, had clauses added, edited, etc. and every vendor was more than happy to work with me on it.  If they don't have a cancellation policy, that would be a big red flag for me.
  • edited July 2012
    I agree with the other posters! You already feel like crap and you already feel like they're treating you like crap! Find another venue! That kind of treatment is not acceptable! You called them and someone who represents them already made some pretty damaging statements to you ie: we're not making money off you please trust your gut and save your money and headaches and go somewhere else! Post a question on the board for other venue suggestions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think discussing "the loss of money on this deal" is VERY disconcerting and unprofessional. I'd honestly rethink it, because the venue is a HUGE part of the wedding. If they are hurting for money, who says something nuts doesn't happen and they close up shop before your wedding? Or give you crappy service?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards