Louisiana-New Orleans

Room blocks- help needed

We contacted the NOCVB to help us find hotels that have a number of hotel rooms available for the weekend of our wedding (which is almost a year away). Unfortunately, many are telling us that they are already booked because of two conventions that are in town that weekend. We were hoping to get the Loews or the Hilton as our more expensive option and then get a cheaper option but both of those are booked.

Do you have any suggestions/reviews for French Quarter hotels, including Canal and Poydras hotels? Our reception is at Pat O's on the River and we would like to have something within walking distance. We are also thinking of having our rehearsal dinner or some kind of get together for the OOT guests at the hotel so please let me know if your suggestion could accomodate this.

Any reviews from past brides are also appreciated!

As always, thank you in advance for your help!!

Re: Room blocks- help needed

• edited December 2011
    For your venue, The Bienville House would be perfect. I'm not sure about hosting an event there, though.

This is where my room block is. So far, everything has been great!
  • eamcardleeamcardle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding block at the Chateau Bourbon, Wyndam Hotel. It's right on Iberville/Canal/Bourbon. Really nice hotel and I had more than 20 rooms, so they were only $99/night for our guests. Might have to negotiate that price -- I think that was low. The hotel did sell out a month in advance (I got married at the end of March), but most of our guests were fine. I worked with Molly Hannen in the sales office. There were small hiccups along the way, but I think that's the case with most hotels. Overall, it was great - super affordable, really nice, perfect location.

We had mostly out of towners but we didn't include everyone at the rehearsal. We had a nice dinner at Tujagues - I definitely recommend it but don't know how big your party will be. Mother's has a big room and I looked at Court of Two Sisters, too. My reception was at the Wax Museum, which was great. If you are having a big rehearsal dinner, you could consider there. House of Blues also has some sweet spots and the people there are cool to work with -- we had a brunch/lunch there on Sunday after the wedding
  • edited December 2011
    Our block is at the Astor Crowne Plaza which is on Canal between Bourbon and Royal.  I've heard good things about it, but haven't stayed there yet.  And with a rate of $109/night it was a great rate, and I know they have spaces to hold functions there too.
  • hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try hotelplanner.com - put in a bid & see what you can get!
  • edited December 2011

Our wedding was also the weekend of a huge convention and there was NOTHING in town.  We had small blocks of 10-15 rooms at several hotels: Crowne Plaza (which is huge, they should be able to swing something for you) and some guests wanted a more budget friendly option (since busy weekends are generally more $$) and they stayed at the super inexpensive Le Richelieu and Andrew Jackson hotels.
    BEWARE of booking hotels on busy weekends though hotels.com, priceline.com, etc.  They cannot guarantee you a room, and if the hotel is oversold your guests lose out.  We had three couples who ran into that with the Marriott and the Roosevelt.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards