Louisiana-New Orleans

Ceremony music ideas?

Hi girls!

I'm in the process of picking my ceremony music. I'm getting married in a church with only an organist & would like traditional/classical music. I need music for the prelude (guest arrival/seating), processional (parents/wedding party entrance) & recessional (wedding party exit).

I've been on wedding wire.com & my wedding music.com to get suggestions & listen to samples, but I'm not thrilled with the "run of the mill" & customary songs for the processional/recessional. I might be the only girl out there who doesn't want to walk up the aisle to "Here Comes the Bride" or exit to "The Wedding March".  No offense to anyone using it...it just doesn't suit me.

I like "Canon in D", but it was used in an alcoholics anonymous commercial some years ago & there are a few people in both families that are recovered alcoholics...so I don't think I should use it. Or should I? Undecided

Please let me know what music ur using & any suggestions for what I should use.
Thanks!!

Re: Ceremony music ideas?

• MMW10MMW10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also did NOT want "Here Comes the Bride", and ceremony music has been one of the hardest things for us to decide on! We have a violinist for the ceremony, and we have chosen "Sleepers Awake" and "Air on the G String", both by Bach, for the processional. For the unity candle part of the ceremony, I chose "Gift of Love"... not sure who wrote it, but I looked it up on YouTube, and it's really pretty. Finally, for the recessional, we're using "La Rejouissance", which is pretty traditional, but not as much so as "The Wedding March". We're still working on the prelude music--I want more classical, but FI wants more contemporay. We'll see! Good luck with choosing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ladean2ladean2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Trumpet Voluntary is nice for the bridal procession if you can budget a trumpet (standard rate is $250).  Also, Beethoven's 9th symphony (ie, "Ode to Joy") is nice and can be played by an organist.
  • edited December 2011
    "JESU, JOY OF MAN'S DESIRING" SOUNDS GREAT ON AN ORGAN!
  • bjk237bjk237 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If a guy might weigh in here, my wife and I were in the same position - we wanted baroque/classical music that you don't typically hear at weddings. We went with Harry Hardin at New Orleans's finest musicians and he helped us with our program (he was also thrilled to get away from the traditional stuff).

We did Bach's Cello suite no. 1 in G major for the mothers/grandmothers, Mozart's Laudate Dominum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDmsInSvgPA) for the bridesmaids (we had string quartet, but it sounds incredible on organ as well, even without the vocals), and Handel's overture to the royal fireworks for Danielle's walk down the aisle (brought tears to my eyes). Definitely spring for a trumpet if you can afford it - we got ours for $225. We lit the unity candle to Panis Angelicus and instead of the boring traditional Ave Maria, try Rachmaninoff's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTH0pcu_t_8) - which Harry arranged for us (again - sounds beautiful on organ).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards