Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Second Line History for Wedding Program

I would like to include a short paragraph explaining the history of the Second Line Parade in my wedding program.  Has anyone done this and have an example they can send me?  Or any suggestions on what to put?

Re: Second Line History for Wedding Program

• Options
    meredithcheekmeredithcheek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this may help...if the link doesn't work, look for a post dated Apr 6th, 2010.

http://nolabridetobe.com/?p=82
  • Options
    Megan  auerMegan auer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is what I wrote in my welcome letter;
    Second Line- The "first line" of a funeral consists of the people who were an integral part of the ceremony, such as the members of the club or family and friends of the deceased. Usually brightly colored items such as beads and feathers were offered to the "second line". The "second line" originally referred to people who were attracted to the music. Traditionally such people would follow behind the "first line." Today, "second line" types of dances are held independently of funerals. The “second line” dance is where you grab a napkin or handkerchief and dance around in a line waving the napkin in the air. The Brides and Groom will participate as well and traditionally wave around decorated umbrellas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards