Louisiana-New Orleans

WARNING- Maurice's Bakery

I have to post this because it has been really bothering both my Mom and I. Usually I would not comment on another wedding like this but I can't let another bride go through this.
   A couple of weeks ago I went with my finace, Mom and future mother in law to look at reception places. We visited Chateau where was saw a cake that looked fake upon first look. It was a round 3 tier cake that were stacked like steps- all the backs even. When we got closer we noticed the cake was leaning so bad it looked like it wouldn't make it to the reception. Then came the icing job-- it was buttercream only, but it wasnt smooth or even like it should have been and there were OBVIOUS multiple finger prints on the front of the cake. The base of the cake was covered in what appeard to be tin foil, and was left like that. Then comes the decorations. The piped icing that was suppoed to be at the bottom of each tier was very unevenly sized or even in a straight line for that matter. In some areas they didnt have it in the propper spot which showed the gap between the bottom of the cake and the top of the next. I am thinking the bride wanted fondant to look like ribbon on the front of each tier-- it looked like left over piece of fondant thrown on the front of the cake.  This is the WORST cake I have ever seen and I feel so bad for the poor bride who had to show up to her reception and see that cake.

We pointed out the look of the cake to the wedding coordinator and she agreed with how awful it looked (it had just arrived so she had not seen it yet). At around 3pm while we were there she called the bakery to inform them of this cake and that she would like someone to come and fix it before the reception at 8. I followed up 3 days later with Chateau only to find out that nobody came to fix it, or even have a manager call her back regarding the cake. Also, I found out that the cake was in fact unfinished-- it was supposed to have a cake topper which was nowhere in site and a little more decoration on the cake itself.

In the 2nd ballroom we looked at there was a Haydel's cake, buttercream only as well, and it was completely flawless and just beautiful. I am appauled by the horrible customer service and the awful cake that Maurice's let go out of his bakery.. It made my decision even easier to go with Haydels.

I hope this helps some of you make a decision regarding a bakery, at least maybe you can take one off of the list!

Re: WARNING- Maurice's Bakery

• I was torn between them and Gambinos. 

Thank goodness I ended up going with Gambinos! That is horrible that no one even bothered to call them back. 

Thanks for the warning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • nice, thanks for the warning. We already booked our baker too but if anyone thinks of using them and does a search they'll find it. that's awful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards