Louisiana-New Orleans

Distance or in town

So I live in Baton Rouge and my FI lives in New Orleans.  We both have family in florida.  We want to do something fairly small and he has a lot of work friends who would "expect" to be invited.  So we are deciding between New Orleans or florida thinking that if have it in florida there would be less of those folks who would come but I am worried that planning long distance would be really difficult.  Pros, cons, thoughts?

Re: Distance or in town

• I think you have to truly prioritize who you are trying to accommodate. I know in my situation, I am from the new orleans area and my fiance is from new york city. We decided that we would get married in New Orleans because i have more family who would have to travel. Is it more important for his coworkers to see you get married or for you family. Work friends come and go, and if anyone should travel to a destination, i think it should be them. Plus, florida is a great place to get married. I am the maid of honor in my cousins wedding this weekend in destin at the emerald grande.
  • Just because people "expect" to be invited doesn't mean they have to be invited.  Do what you want!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • My advice would be to not to pick a place and plan your wedding based on a hope or expectation that people won't come. We are in Texas and no one other than my MOH has any ties to NOLA and we foolishly thought that having a destination wedding would permit us to invite everyone that we wanted and those who "expected" to be invited, but still have a smallish wedding. Haha, what a joke. We invited about 250 and already half of that number is committed to coming by booking hotels and flights and we aren't even sending invites out for another 2 months! Now my attitude is the more the merrier because smallish isn't happening. I think Florida will be as attractive of a destination to people as NO is. Moral of the story is do what you really want to do and invite those who you really want to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Thanks guys.  I think I am leaning towards NOLA because I'm excited about the place and I don't want to deal with long distance planning.  I think the added stress is not worth saving a bit on having a smaller wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards