Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Latrobe's on Royal brides?

Hi all! i am getting married at Latrobe's on Royal in NOLA next September. I think i'll have around 150 guests and am trying to decide between doing a plated dinner or a buffet. i thought i wanted plated for sure, but the coordinator said if you have your ceremony there as well it can be tough to do a plated dinner. i wondered if anyone who has been married there could offer some insight? did you do plated or buffet and if so did the buffet allow for enough places for guests to sit? i love the idea of everyone sitting down for dinner in the same room but it seems like a buffet might work better for this particular venue. thanks so much!

Re: Latrobe's on Royal brides?

• Options

I'm just guessing, but I think she means that if you have your ceremony there, you won't have room for a plated dinner, because there is not enough time to turn around the room.  Typically for New Orleans style buffet receptions, there are only chairs and tables for about half the guests and people mingle.  You may want to clarify with them though.

• Options
    I've never been to a reception without enough chairs for each guest.  But cocktail/stations is definitely the norm. (this differs from "buffet" in my opinion because the food is available the whole time and it's not like a "now it's table 10's turn to go through the line" sort of thing)> 
  • Options
    We didn't get married at Latrobe's, but our reception was "buffet" style. There were different stations of food that were available all night. There were enough tables/chairs for all of our guests, but we didn't have assigned seating charts. We also had taller cocktail tables, and some guests chose to stand at those as opposed to sitting.
  • Options

My final venue choices were between Latrobe's and the Wax.  I ultimately chose the Wax because of the limitations of having a plated dinner (or at a minimum enough seating for each guest) at Latrobe's with that number of people.  I had extensive discussions with the owner at Latrobe's and my wedding planner about this and the logistics of seating, where the buffet stations would go, where the band would go, etc. and ultimately decided to go with the Wax (tough decision...Latrobe's is so beautiful!).  I think if you want to have a more formal feel, and are willing to give up valuable reception space (for a band, DJ, dance floor), then you could still make the plated/seated dinner happen.  Otherwise, buffet stations and/or "reception style" seating will allow you more room and flexibility in that venue. 

I have also attended a reception there for about that many people with buffet stations and reception style seating.  The band and dance floor were in the main room with the buffet stations and the courtyard area had an additional bar and lounge type seating.   The cake was in the middle of the round area between the two.  The owner (very helpful I might add) suggested to me that if I wanted enough tables & chairs for every guest I could have the band/DJ in that courtyard area which would serve as the dance floor.  The main room would then be taken up completely with tables and buffet stations. 

Just some thoughts....HTH. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've been to several weddings in New Orleans where the food was served reception style with stations.  Typically they do not have chairs for every person, as some people stand at the high boys or at the bar.  Both my caterer and my planner have assured me that this is the norm.  It's always nice if you can accommodate that, but there is no way my venue will fit seats and tables for 300+ people in addition to a dance floor.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards