Louisiana-New Orleans

NOLA license and name change?

For any already married ladies out there, what was your experience with the marriage license and changing your name? 

I got married on 5/28 and my MIL mailed our marriage license for us on the following Monday as we were already gone for our honeymoon.  We still have not received our certified copy back, and thus I can't start on the name change process.  I read somewhere that it can take up to 6 weeks to get the marriage license back...have any of you found that to be the case?

I'm posting on this board about this b/c I know the marriage license thing is a little bit different in every state.  Still though, I read a lot of posts from knotties from other places who completed their name change within days of getting married.  This makes me wonder if I'm missing something or doing something wrong.  How did they send off their license and get it back that quickly to be able to go do their name change? 

I'm antsy & wanna get the ball rolling!

Re: NOLA license and name change?

• edited December 2011

My understanding is that it takes 6 weeks to get the certified copy back. I havent recieved my certified copy yet and i got married a month ago as well. Hopefully we get them soon!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wmh6wmh6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was wondering this also.  We've only been married a couple weeks, and I'm already antsy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What? Certified copy?  We got married ages ago and never got one. 

We have our original copy that says "for bride and groom" 

??
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @NOLAbride- Did you use that one to legally change your name?  I was told that that one was a 'keepsake' but was not a legal document.  I was under the impression that I need the certified copy to come back before I will be able to change my name...I wonder if I could use the 'for bride and groom' copy at the SS office and DMV and start the name-change process???
  • wmh6wmh6 member
    edited December 2011
    I was under the impression that I would need the certified copy also.  I asked my sister who was married a little over a year ago and lives in North Louisiana.  She said she was able to use the 'keepsake' at the SS office, but the DMV required the certified copy(which I thought was strange).  I figured it would be the opposite.  I'm waiting to do it all at once so I only have to come in late to work that one time.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_nola-license-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:bc07d52d-5045-44b9-afee-09af011d365cPost:30b506e2-1c39-4f6b-89e0-c385c80b1515">Re: NOLA license and name change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was under the impression that I would need the certified copy also.  I asked my sister who was married a little over a year ago and lives in North Louisiana.  <strong>She said she was able to use the 'keepsake' at the SS office, but the DMV required the certified copy(which I thought was strange).  I figured it would be the opposite. </strong> I'm waiting to do it all at once so I only have to come in late to work that one time.
    Posted by wmh6[/QUOTE]

That does sound strange...you'd think the SS office would be the more strict place, especially b/c that's really the first thing that you change.  I'm tempted to try now...but I'm in the same boat as you with wanting to do both on the same day to minimize time out of work.
  • edited December 2011
    We got married at the end of March and received our certified marriage license about 5 weeks or so later.
  • edited December 2011
    Ohhh...okay. I am not planning to change my name so does it matter? 
  • mabezanmabezan member
    edited December 2011
    We got married May 21 and just got our Marriage License in the mail yesterday. About 4 1/2 weeks after it was mailed :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_nola-license-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:bc07d52d-5045-44b9-afee-09af011d365cPost:7a184676-7433-420a-884e-a5ef0d612fdf">Re: NOLA license and name change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got married May 21 and just got our Marriage License in the mail yesterday. About 4 1/2 weeks after it was mailed :)
    Posted by mabezan[/QUOTE]

Yay!  I'm going to cross my fingers that ours comes sometime next week, which would be our 4 1/2 week mark :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@NOLAbride- if you don't need it to change your name, then I would think it doesn't matter.  Unless there's any other scenario where you'd need to prove you are married?  The only thing I can think of is that my HR person told me to bring the marriage license in if I wanted to add my husband to my health ins. I don't know whether they'd care though if it was the certified copy or the 'bride & groom' copy...we decided to keep our own separate ins. plans, so I haven't had to deal with that scenario.

• edited December 2011

Just an FYI. We got married May 21 and we got our certified copies in the mail yesterday. So it took 5 weeks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wmh6wmh6 member
    edited December 2011
    phunluvin....has yours come in yet?  My husband just called to tell me that ours came, and I think we were married a week after you.
  • hey ladies! I know this is a really old post but just in case any of ya'll still follow it... do any of you know if i can go to ANY social security office? i hear the one in kenner is a lot less busy than the one down town. i cant find an answer to this anywhere...  thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards