Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

SecondLine in New Orleans

Hey everyone! I am getting married 12/7/2013 at The Board of Trade and really want to do a second line! First, has anyone used the Storyville Stompers? If so, what is your experience?? I don't really want to go out after the wedding, so I was thinking of doing the second line in between the ceremony and reception so they can break down the ceremony area. I am using the same chairs for the reception. I just wanted a few opinions on having the second line in between the ceremony and reception, even though we will go back to The Board of Trade.

I am new to this, so any feedback would be appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

Re: SecondLine in New Orleans

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I don't have experience with secondlining from and to the same location, as I had two venues, but when I was venue scouting, the venues that do ceremony + reception said it's very common to have the second line while the venue is changing things over for the reception. I don't see why it would be a problem! It will still be tons of fun.  

I used the Storyville Stompers and have nothing but raves! They were very responsive and easy to work with, showed up right on time and sounded awesome. I got married at the Beauregard-Keyes House and had my reception on the second floor of Muriel's. The Stompers came out onto the balcony overlooking the courtyard at the BK House where we were having our cocktail hour and started playing there, then led us all through the house out onto the street, paraded us to Jackson Square, and then they led us up the stairs at Muriel's. They played one last song (When the Saints Go Marching In) in our room at Muriel's and everyone sang along. It was the most FABULOUS way to kick off the reception that I could possibly imagine. So worth it - way more than worth it.

• Options
    I used the Storyville Stompers and had my wedding at the board of trade.  I think it's actually more traditional to do the second line between the ceremony and reception, but I did mine after the reception.  I think it's totally fine to second line with your guests and have it turned over for the reception.  FWIW-They turned over the ceremony space really quickly and I had an extra 100 chairs brought in. 
  • Options
    We also did our second line between the ceremony and reception, from and to the same location and it was awesome. A few of the chairs were moved from the ceremony space to the tables. We did have a go drink station set up at the area the second line formed and that was a really great idea on my DOC's part, I would highly recommend doing one.
  • Options
    Thank you all so so much!!!!! I definitely feel better after reading y'all's comments!
  • Options
    That is such a great idea!!!! What type of drinks did you have at the drink station or did your guests just order whatever they wanted there?

In Response to Re:SecondLine in New Orleans:[QUOTE]We also did our second line between the ceremony and reception, from and to the same location and it was awesome. A few of the chairs were moved from the ceremony space to the tables. We did have a go drink station set up at the area the second line formed and that was a really great idea on my DOC's part, I would highly recommend doing one. Posted by ZeroOrchestra[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    For the second line we had Pimm's Cup, which was one of our signature drinks, and water. I think the pimm's was easy because they could just premix it. They may have poured out Abita's into cups also but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    We got married and had our reception at the board of trade.  We secondlined in between while the re-set the courtyard and it worked out great!

We also had Pigeon set up a drink station.  We just did wine and beer for the secondline (open bar later) mainly because we didn't want a line backing up while people decided what kind of drink they wanted, so there were pre-poured wines and bottles of beer ready to go.  It was definitely the highlight of the whole wedding!

PS: We used Smitty Dee's and were very happy with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards