Louisiana-New Orleans

catholic church help!!

I am recently engaged and just beginning the wedding planning process. My fiance and I were both brought up Catholic and would like to get married in a Catholic church. However, between my research and word of mouth it sounds like you have to jump through hoops to get married in NOLA catholic churches. Yes, we were both born and raised Catholic but we havent really been active in going to church or anything like that (at all- i know terrible!) Anyways, I would love to get married in a beautiful hisotric new Orleans chruch but i feel like its going to be difficult to find a priest to marry us. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions? I know i am not the only Catholic girl in this city that hasnt religioiusly gone to church. I also didnt realize how expensive the churches are!! Any help would be appreciated :)

Re: catholic church help!!

• Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

All the churches that I went to growing up were torn down.  haven't been to church much since I started college. (2000) When I was looking for a church I went to St.Jude on N.Rampart and now I go to church there b/c it is a whole new experience. It isn't the church that I grew up with. It isn't a church like the catherdral or anything, but it is the oldest church in the city. .

Fr. Tony is great. The mass there in general is great. I go to 9:30 or 11:30.

It is $400 for the church if you aren't a parishioner. Free if you are.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    We got married at St. Judes on North Rampart (Our Lady of Guadalupe) last June. We are active in the Catholic Church, but we don't live in New Orleans. It wasn't an issue at all. Father Tony was amazing and the church is gorgeous. It's not one of the big fancy cathedrals, but it's one of the oldest churches in New Orleans, and it's the most affordable church in the French Quarter. I definitly reccomend checking it out!
  • meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually decided NOT to get married in a church because the out of parish fee for the churches we liked (including Holy Rosary, where my fiance's grandmother was a parishioner) were outrageous.  You have to jump through hoops to get married in the Catholic church anywhere, but they shouldn't be judgmental of you for not being a regular churchgoer.  You can meet with the priest beforehand to find out more about the requirements and see if you would be comfortable working with him.  The priest at our neighborhood parish said we would have to meet with him four times and do either a day or weekend retreat led by a married couple. It's good to plan ahead so you have time for your meetings and because the day retreat fills up.  I've heard good things about St. Jude / Our Lady of Guadalupe so if that works for you location-wise it might be a good option if it will accommodate the number of guests you are planning on.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at St. Theresa of Avila on Erato St. right off of St. Charles.  Its a very pretty church that looks like the old historic ones, but its on a smaller scale.  It's also only $300 dollars and finding a priest is easy.  I went to a Catholic school so I am using my priest from there, but if you look at any of the churches, most of the priests will go to other churches to perform the ceremony.
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We recently did our pre cana at st jude and it was from 9 to 12 on a saturday morning with about 5 other couples and VERY informal. SO painless that I don't know what I was afraid of. they had other couples that weren't getting married at St Jude there as well. There was a couple there who said that they were not regular church attenders.

We just have to go a "family planning class" when ever.

Other than that we had to meet with Fr. Tony to set the date and fill out a form about ourselves and how many people were going to be in the wedding and I think we have to go one more time right before just to clarify all the details of the wedding not to talk about anything in particular.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• leck1lsuleck1lsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for everyones input and suggestions! My mom and I went and peaked at St. Theresa of Avila and I really liked it. We have narrowed it down between there and another church. Every other we called was beyond $1000 and most places you had to provide your own priest. These two churches are reasonable and the priests seem happy to work with us. Thanks for all your help girls :)
  • KtinagrlKtinagrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, finding a church that doesn't charge an arm and a leg is difficult. If you don't mind paying the fee, you should be able to get married in any church if you go through the engagement encounter counseling.  Most churches also require 4-6 months notice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards