Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Catholic Wedding: Baton Rouge Pre Cana - NOLA ceremony

Hi Everyone!
My fiance and I are planning a Southern wedding =]. He is in Baton Rouge and I am relocating there in a month. We are from the midwest and want to have the wedding in BR or NOLA so that we can 1.) actually be present for the planning and 2.) help cut costs by having less people at an "out-of-town" wedding and 3.) how freaking cool is the BR/NOLA area!

We are currently debating on getting married in Baton Rouge or New Orleans. Each has their pros. One question that I have is with the Pre Cana process for a Catholic wedding. We will be joining a church in BR and thus going through the Pre Cana process there.

If we get married in New Orleans- is it common for people to invite the priest they have been doing Pre Cana with in their parish to celebrate the wedding since it's only 1 1/2 hrs away? Would a church in NOLA allow that? Finally- do you think I would be paying a pre-cana cost at my church as well as an out of town ceremony cost in NOLA?

My it's confusing! If anyone could share their experiences, it would be much appreciated! Thanks =]

Re: Catholic Wedding: Baton Rouge Pre Cana - NOLA ceremony

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how it works everywhere, but the officiant for our wedding is a Deacon from our Parish Church in Kenner and we are getting married at Ursuline in New Orleans.  I think many of the Churches in NOLA will allow it (especially for the right price ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Catholic Churches in NOLA (in my experience) tend to be a bit more "flexible," than other Catholic Churches 

For example, I went to a Catholic ceremony on a Saturday at 6 PM....which seems to be forbidden in other areas from what I've heard.  They also don't seem to care about covering the shoulders, etc. 
  • Options
    shanhintonshanhinton member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of the major Catholic churches in NOLA, except for Immaculate Conception,  require you to provide your own officiant. It would be up to the priest in BR if he wanted to make the trip. 

Also, since BR is not in the Archdiocese of New Orleans, you will need to have your preparation through the Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge and then it must be approved by the Archdiocese of New Orleans. This can take a little time, so keep that in mind when choosing your wedding date and give yourself plenty of time.

As far as covering your shoulders, etc. St. Patrick's is very strict about it and they require you to take an additional natural family planning class. 

Just some things to consider! Happy planning!
  • Options
    meredithcheekmeredithcheek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you would also need to pay the fee for the marriage prep and pre-cana at the parish where you do your prep and then also a fee for the NOLA church which are pretty pricey (~$2k for immaculate conception).
  • Options
    AvrilmaiAvrilmai member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We currently live in BR and are getting married in NOLA. Our priest told us we can do our pre-cana in either archdiocese. We just have to bring the proof that we completed it. The church we are getting married in told us we had to find our own priest, so if yours is willing to go to NOLA it is a possibility. If your priest cannot do the wedding in NOLA then you will need a letter from him saying it is okay for you to get married outside of your parish. 

As someone posted above the Archdiocese of New Orleans is a little more "flexible" than other places. (including the one in Baton Rouge). In BR you cannot have a catholic wedding on a Saturday night.

Good Luck! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow!
    Thank you for all of the responses and helpful information! I have been a little MIA from TheKnot as my mom came to visit me in NYC this weekend and we got a DRESS! And- it was from Kleinfeld's! (A wonderful gift from an aunt I have been living with this past year).

I appreicate all of the help and will try to dive on into question asking and preparations once I'm in BR at the end of May.
    Thanks again and best wishes to you all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards