Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Photography-first look?

When I met with our photographers-Dark Roux Photography (they are awesome!)- they mentioned to me a "first look". My fiancé and I are torn whether or not we want to do it. Suggestions?

Also, I'm doing a boudoir session with one of the photographers from Dark Roux (Heather), and I'm going to give the photos to my (soon to be) husband on our wedding day. I'm very comfortable with her and excited to do the photos, but I'm pretty nervous. Anyone have any experience with a boudoir session?

Re: Photography-first look?

• Options
    Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photog suggested a first look also. It's common. We opted not to do one and he is totally fine with it, since we moved our ceremony time to ensure there will be a enough daylight. If you do't want to do one, don't feel pressured into agreeing.

The first look is good for people doing a later ceremony, or who don't want to leave their reception. We also scheduled a day after shoot to ensure that we wouldn't be rushed in the 45 minutes we have allowed for our pictures after the ceremony.

No advice on the boudoir shoot, but good luck!

• Options
    wmh6wmh6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Dark Roux too!  We have been going back and forth, but I think we are leaning towards not doing a first look.  We'll take as many pictures as we can before the ceremony without us seeing each other like me with the bridesmaids and him with the groomsmen.  Then we'll have a list of pics we want after the ceremony so it will be a quick process...hopefully!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The first look was by far my favorite part of the day! I highly recommend it. Both my now husband and I had the best time!

• Options
    Chelsey504Chelsey504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely doing the first look!

We are not having a super traditional wedding (short civil ceremony, no veil) and the "surprise" walking down the aisle never really appealed to me. I much prefer the idea of us having a more intimate moment together before the ceremony starts. And plus it means we can can get all the formal photos out of the way beforehand so we don't miss any of the reception. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Could someone tell me what a "first look" is? I'm newly engaged and don't know much about what to expect with photographers. Thanks!
  • Options
    skatoryskatory member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didnt get it either because it's not common here. I understand it's an early photo shoot both for an intimate time together and to get a lot of pics out of the way. My florist explained it's not always safe to carry your flowers around so early because it would cut down on there longevity sothats something to consider too I guess. My husband ultimately wanted to see me at the start of the ceremony and I dont regret the decision. I read some girls have prety big photo packages here so it does seem to be a cool option if you have a phtographer tht long.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer suggested a "First Look". At first, I was against it because I'm very excited about the wedding look I've put together for my big day and I cannot wait for my hubby-to-be to see me at the top of the aisle, in all my beautiful wedding glory!

But, after reading comments from other brides, I've decided to do first look for the following reasons. First, its still a highly anticipated event, where my groom will be at our chosen location for pictures, looking away from the general direction from where I'll be entering. I'll still surprise him, whether by walkind directly behind him and asking him to turn around or by walking from the path across the lawn to where he is standing. He will still have that WOW moment and I will still feel like his most precious loved one! Second, it allows us to tell each other how we feel and what we're thinking right at that very moment, without a pastor talking or the onset of stagefright due to being in front of a filled church. Third, it saves me time and reduces stress later, which is KEY. Finally, it allows me more time at the reception.

I decided since I still get this highly anticipatory "unveiling" moment with my groom, all of the other pros have definitely pushed me over to going with "First Look".

Hope that helps,
  • Options
    caitpmcaitpm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm glad we did a first look at our wedding-it gave us a private chance to see each other without worrying about anything else for a few minutes. he'll still be so excited when you walk down the aisle-it's still a one-of-a-kind feeling-but it was nice for us to get to focus on us before things got started. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards