Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Summer Wedding: NO AC!!

I found a venue that I really love BUT it has no air conditioning andbthe available dates are in August. It is in downtown Baltimore...the Visionary Art Museum - Sculpture Barn. It's a brick building that has HUGE open archways that lead outside and very high cielings. They do have industrial fans but I'm worried about the heat. Do you think it's bad idea to book my wedding there?The wedding would be in the evening.  I really love it and I'm having a hard time finding anything else I love this much that's within my budget. HELP!!!
Jac & Bri

Re: Summer Wedding: NO AC!!

• Options
    iamstephiamsteph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should see if you could get references from other brides that got married there at about that time, so you can get an honest opinion. 

I'm thinking that it'll probably be ok, as the sun will be low/setting, the fans blowing, and if people know it's an outdoor wedding, they'll dress appropriately. On your info card, just make sure to mention to your guests to dress for warm weather!
    Married December 18th, 2010 :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree about looking for reviews from other brides, or even asking the museum if they can provide contact info for August brides.

Without hearing that it's worked out well in the past, though, I would lean toward not doing it.  Even after the sun sets it's often still pretty hot and muggy, and it's hard to 'dress appropriately' and still be wearing nice clothes and have your hair and makeup done.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you love it, go for it. You never know what the weather will be like anyway. Just because it's in August doesn't mean it will be sweltering. My wedding was this past June (early), and it was 90+ degrees, which was not expected! Our reception was in a tent on the roof of the Science Center downtown, and even though we had fans and it was shaded, it was HOT. But you know what? Everyone had a great time, and no one complained about the heat. People will adjust and if it's in the evening and near the water, you should be fine.
    6.12.10 June 2010 Siggy Challenge: Fave E-pic imageMy Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies!!

Bmoremegan
    : Was your wedding in the evening? I'm  hoping when the sun sets it will cool off a lot!
    Jac & Bri
  • Options
    BmoreNicoleBmoreNicole member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do it. If you contact a rental company (if you need to rent chairs/tables/linens) they might be able to give you some advice. They should have portable air conditioners or fans that you could rent. As long as you aren't out under the sun in the heat of the afternoon it shouldn't be too bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_summer-wedding-ac?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:85Discussion:02304e71-bac9-427e-9e59-863ed54be114Post:355695eb-a3e0-465f-b6bb-debe8ace95d8">Re: Summer Wedding: NO AC!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the advice ladies!! Bmoremegan : Was your wedding in the evening? I'm  hoping when the sun sets it will cool off a lot!
    Posted by 2keegs[/QUOTE]

The reception started at 4:30 and lasted til 9:30...so sort of, but the sun didn't really set til almost 9 I think.
    6.12.10 June 2010 Siggy Challenge: Fave E-pic imageMy Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a bad idea.
    I am having my ceremony only outside (end of July) in the evening by the water. I think that is fine since it will on be about a half hour or so. Then everyone will move inside (country club) for a nice and air conditioned reception. I am planning on moving the whole thing inside in case of rain or really high temps. But the whole ceremony AND reception in the summer with no air? It can get really humid around here. I just imagine all your guests will be very uncomfortable while they are all dressed up in the heat. It would be a shame to spend all the money and take all the time to plan and your guests start leaving super early because they are uncomfortable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't like riding in a car in the summer without AC, I doubt I will enjoy a wedding in August outside with no AC.  I also hate sweating and the moment I start sweating when I am supposed to be enjoying something (ie a wedding) I get concerned. But thats just me. But that mindset could be a lot of your guests. 
  • Options
    Teri&PozTeri&Poz member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Curious as to what you decided? 
    I attended an August wedding there last summer & it was unGODly hot.  It was a 6pm ceremony, with a reception following.  The sole fan in the barn did nothing to cool the place off.  We still had a great time, but in all of the pictures, everyone looks disgustingly coated with sweat. And they ran out of water before they ran out of liqour!  Just thought I'd share my experience!
    tPoz Photography - www.tpozphoto.com
    May 5, 2007 **MARRIED**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding there in July and i was Extremely hot. Having said that, my brothers wedding was this past June and it was outside. It was soooo hot and humid that day...(and no fans). They did a great job providing huge pitchers of lemonade, water, and iced tea for the guests to have during the outdoor ceremony. They also had an ice cream bar. Kept us cool. I think you should go for it....but maybe throw in something to keep people cool and well hydrated. My wedding is outside in February but we are getting propane heaters and handing out hot cocoa. Good luck!
    More than words.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards