Maryland-Baltimore

Name Change

Does anyone know the process in Maryland? I'm starting to get confused....

Re: Name Change

• edited December 2011
    Here is what I did:
    -request 3 official copies of my marriage license; I sent out the request before my HM, so they were there when I got back
    - go to SS with copy of marriage license to get new SS card
    -wait until new SS card came in mail (1-2 weeks), go to MVA with new SS card and copy of marriage license to get new DL

A new DL was required for some of my name changes, but some things only asked me to fax/e-mail/mail a copy of my marriage license.  Before I got my new SS card but AFTER the process had been started with SS, I called/looked online for things like my credit cards, cell phone, student loans, health insurance, car insurance, and lease to see what their requirements were.  I took care of whatever I could without the new DL ahead of time, which turned out to be almost everything. 

It will depend on your particular accounts, but many things for me were done online or through mail.  I had to visit my bank and car insurance company (State Farm) in person - both of those required only my marriage license.  Some other things were ridiculously easy to change - my cell phone (Verizon) and student loans (AES) just required an e-mail and no documentation at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Start with SS.  You can bring your original marriage license since they only need to make a copy.  Word of advice - get their early and print the form out ahead of time.  They'll have it there, but it's much easier if you already have it.

Wait a day or two the systems and sync and then you can go to the MVA.  I just had to wait the weekend. (went to SS on Friday and MVA on Tuesday)  You do not have to wait for your new SS card in the mail.  They will give you a letter, and you can just bring that to the MVA - along with your marriange license.  But again, you can bring the original...they only need to see it and make a copy.

Once those two are done - you can start with the credit cards, banks, insurance, etc. 

FWIW - I didn't get any certified copies of our marriage license and everything has worked out just fine with the original.
  • edited December 2011
    I 'needed' at least one certified copy, because I didn't want to carry around the original (or mail it away).  One of the copies got seriously effed up in my purse, but I definitely could have gotten away with only one and just taken better care of it.  They were $5 each so I just went ahead and ordered three, rather than write a check for $5.  I had to mail it away twice (once for my passport, once for my student loans), but both times it was returned to me.  It's a personal preference.

I ditto the recommendation to fill out the form at SS ahead of time.  The lady I went to refused to give me any kind of letter, so I decided to wait until my new card came in the mail.  I have heard that it only takes a few days for the system to be updated, but the MVA is a nightmare as it is so I wanted one less thing to worry about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards