August 2013 Weddings

Hotel Block

If you set up a hotel block for your OOT guests, how many rooms did you reserve?  Did you reserve enough rooms so that every OOT couple/family on your guestlist could book through your block?  Or did you assume some would not come to the wedding or would pick another hotel?

We're struggling already because initially the hotel set aside 10 rooms for Friday before our wedding and 10 rooms for our wedding night (Saturday).  We've already had that fill up so the hotel added 5 more rooms, but that is already almost full and our invites (obviously) have not even gone out yet.  Now, we're trying to figure out how many more rooms we should block.  We could potentially need 60+ rooms in our block since my FI's entire family is OOT, but I doubt everyone will come or stay at this hotel.

Re: Hotel Block

• linnyv27linnyv27 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_hotel-block?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:081bcacf-32b4-44f3-a6b4-701083d1d4a4Post:99e42ed5-18c6-4460-b1f7-65fe95746be4">Hotel Block</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you set up a hotel block for your OOT guests, how many rooms did you reserve?  Did you reserve enough rooms so that every OOT couple/family on your guestlist could book through your block?  Or did you assume some would not come to the wedding or would pick another hotel? We're struggling already because initially the hotel set aside 10 rooms for Friday before our wedding and 10 rooms for our wedding night (Saturday).  We've already had that fill up so the hotel added 5 more rooms, but that is already almost full and our invites (obviously) have not even gone out yet.  Now, we're trying to figure out how many more rooms we should block.  We could potentially need 60+ rooms in our block since my FI's entire family is OOT, but I doubt everyone will come or stay at this hotel.
    Posted by audubonbride2013[/QUOTE]

Usually hotels are very flexible about adding more rooms to the block as long as it's before the deadline of reserving rooms. Since you've already added 5 more rooms and those are almost blocked, I'm sure they would be more than glad to add more rooms because it means more business for them. Personally, I would try to add 15-20 more rooms because your invites haven't even gone out yet.

You should talk to your hotel and ask what is the maximum of rooms they will allow you to add on. You could add rooms in blocks of 10, then 10 more once those fill up, and so forth.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 96 Are ready to party
    image 27 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are undecided
  • The hotels I contacted said that as long as there were rooms available they would give the reduced rate to anyone who booked for our wedding so we only blocked 10 even though we have a similar number of OOT. So I'm not sure if you even have to add more rooms to your block. Maybe your hotel is different, though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_hotel-block?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:081bcacf-32b4-44f3-a6b4-701083d1d4a4Post:13aadcfe-7a9e-4523-b7f8-43b5ce01e3d2">Re: Hotel Block</a>:
    [QUOTE]The hotels I contacted said that as long as there were rooms available they would give the reduced rate to anyone who booked for our wedding so we only blocked 10 even though we have a similar number of OOT. So I'm not sure if you even have to add more rooms to your block. Maybe your hotel is different, though.
    Posted by JennaMichelle88[/QUOTE]

<div>This is the case for me too.  </div>

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• edited March 2013
    Thanks!  If our guests call, the hotel will give them a room at our discounted rate if a room's available.  Most of our guests are booking online through our group site though, so when the rooms fill up they can't book online until more are added.  

I was working with a really great woman at the hotel that was monitoring the block for me to add more rooms when necessary, but she no longer works there.  The new manager doesn't seem as helpful, but we'll see.  I just put in a request for 20 more rooms, so hopefully they are accomodating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards