Ohio-Columbus
Options

venues. ugh. help.

We are looking for a venue that will 1. allow us to bring our own catering (or at least not force us to have a crap ton of staff that we really don't want/need) 2. is under or very close to $1500 to rent and 3. has a goth-y type feel to it. We are really wanting something with exposed brick, exposed beams, metal, all that jazz.
We have already looked at Smith Bros (which I really love) but they are forcing us into 2k worth of staff that we really don't want or need. We have also looked at BoMA (I guess it's called the Bluestone now) which was just way too expensive in general.
We are also looking at North Bank Park, but it's booked on our date. We might just be forced into changing our date and going with North Bank if we can't find something else we love :(
Can anyone help point me in a direction?

Re: venues. ugh. help.

• Options
    KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Clintonville Women's Club might work. It's not really goth, but it's definitely got a vintage feel that you could dress up. They offer white or black linens and there are exposed wood beams and hardwood floors. You have to use their caterers but they are very reasonable. No rental fee for the facility, and best of all you get to bring in your own alcohol. We are having our wedding there in October. 

With the money you save renting this place you can really decorate the hell out of it. 

I totally understand how you feel about the unnecessary charges. We looked at 10 venues and were blown away by the absurd cost of all of them. I think the Taylor Mansion was the worst of all. Not only did we not like the venue once we got there, but they nickel and dime you to death for everything. Right down to the last tea light candle. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes! Omg Taylor Mansion was horrible! The original price we got wasn't TOOOO terrible, but then once we got a proposal from them we found out they charge for everything. I'm surprised they weren't going to charge us for every timy anyone used the bathroom!
    And thanks! I will look up the Clintonville Women's Club :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Olde Gahanna Sanctuary, I think will be within your budget. You can bring your own catering and it is very nice and kinda gothy. It looks much nicer in person than it does on the website.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Grand Valley Dale Ballroom...its around your budget for renting, the only require you purchase beverages from them.  It doesn't have a gothy feel but it has an old Frank Sinatra feel.  Don't let the outside of the building fool you, the inside really is pretty.
  • Options
    sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about the Athenaeum? Depending on your guest list size, they have some older style rooms....

Random: The Funny Bone at Easton you can rent out! It kind of has that dark gothy feel to it. Might be interesting to check out?
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, good call on The Athenaeum. We went to a wedding there and some of the other rooms we saw had a "gothy" feel to them. Very old style architecture. I think they allow you to bring your own alcohol as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had no idea you could rent out The Funnybone! That's awesome!
    Thank you soooo much guys I will check out all of those places <3
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ohh looking at the pictures I'm now realizing I had my high school prom at the Valleydale Ballroom. That place is super pretty inside
  • Options
    KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    edited December 2011
    The Athenaeum really nickle and dimes you too. Not to mention parking is a nightmare if there are other events going on at the same time. 

Swim and Racquet Club is only a $500 rental and you can bring in your own caterer and alcohol. Not really goth, but it's definitely nice.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

There's a new winery in the Brewery District called Via Vecchia that has a darker feel with all exposed brick.  My FI & I looked at it & loved the look & feel of it but ended up going a different route.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Greystone Wine Cellar. I don't believe they allow you to have your own caterer, but they're more than willing to work with you on the number of staff, and they have packages for pretty much every budget
  • Options
    erikadiehlerikadiehl member
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Delaware County Cultural Arts Center-- not sure of price or size but it is an old castle looking building in downtown Delaware. Maybe cheaper to go outside of Columbus too. Its a really neat looking building.

To inquire about hosting special events at The Arts Castle, contact Kathy Cope at 740.369.ARTS (2787) 

Hope that helps!!!
  • Options
    jaymiemariejaymiemarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just saw about Via Vecchia!
    1. It is GORGEOUS
    2. You will not find better customer service/friendship there...they are SO NICE and prompt and just a pleasure to work with.
    3. They DO have a caterer you need to use, but he is just as amazing to work with. Catering by Scott is the caterer, and Scott is so much more than a caterer. He knows EVERY aspect of weddings and always says, "I treat every bride like it was my daughter." But he also SHOWS this through actions.

OK...so....I AM having my wedding here, but I am so happy about it and have had nothing but good experiences and after hearing some yucko stories from other brides, I feel like every bride should feel like I have felt working with these people. Highly, highly recommend.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also try Walters Commons at St. Charles - I think the rent is a little over your budget, but you can bring in your alcohol and caterer (though I think there is a preferred caterer list).  The room itself is pretty huge and 2 of the walls are the brick exterior of the school that they closed in to make the commons area.  

Here's a link to an album of pictures taken at Walters Commons: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?uname=sselhorst&cuname=sselhorst&psc=F&tags=Walters+Commons#

Hope that helps!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We had our wedding at Walter Commons at St. Charles and loved it.  It is more than $1500, I think closer to $3,500, but the caterers are reasonably priced and you can bring in your own alcohol.  Two walls are the light tan brick and one of the walls is floor to ceiling windows, so it has a bit of an outdoor feel to it.  Here's another pic:

http://www.capital-style.com/live/foundation/slideshow.jsp?file=/issue/stories/bride/your-weddings/2011/01/kelso.html&image=8&adsec=issue&tot=11&sid=119

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Does walter commons at st. charles provide the tables and chairs? I heard the price for there is 2,800.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards