Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Costly for a bridesmaid dress?

Hey ladies,Do you think $150 for a bridesmaid dress is a bit steep?  I have been trying to work with my ladies and form a consensus on a dress.  They found a Dessy which is at that price that they all like, but I feel like the price is high for a BM dress.Some are opposed to David's Bridal due to the quality of the dress.  Any suggestions?

Re: Costly for a bridesmaid dress?

• Options
    MereFM99MereFM99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that's too steep.  If I'm remembering correctly, 2 of the bridesmaid dresses that I've bought were $130ish, 1 was $180ish, and the ones that my bridesmaids picked out for my wedding ranged from $125-160 (each picked her own style).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If they are ok with it I dont think thats a big deal...if you think it is pricey than don't also make them buy expensive shoes or make-up or hair a requirement...let them decide what they are willing to spend on the extras.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would discuss with your BMs what price range they are comfortable with. If they are comfortable with a $150 dress, then why not go for it?Personally, I wanted my BM dresses to come in under $200 including alterations. The dresses ended up costing $155, so that worked out. And I cleared it with my girls beforehand.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    not at all. i really want to find something around that price, but so far the ones i/BM like are closer to 200. i would ask your BP what they feel is reasonable. i think it also depends on the other BP expenses....
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not Bridezilla so the problem has been that I have been letting them decide on the dress and its has turned into 8 women with 100 opinions.They all seemed to like this dress.  I told them I don't care what shoes they wear, what color their nails are, etc.  I find it ridiculous that brides micromanage aspects of their wedding such as this.  I don't think I need to worry about any of them wearing anything distasteful. I am glad to hear that the price isn't absurd.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand you when you say that you don't want to be a "bridezilla" and demand that they wear something. I also had this concern when I chose my BMs, who were all my besties and one is my niece. The nice thing? They were the ones who told me not to worry about price! To a girl, they all said that it was my day, and that they would wear whatever I wanted, no questions asked. So I gave them a choice of gowns that I liked, the color, designer and told them that as long as it was from the same designer, they didn't need to match...and guess what? When we went dress shopping, after trying on dresses, they chose a totally different designer and fabric (silk/chiffon), and they were about $200, and all paid happily...but as a break, I am going to allow them to wear their own shoes (just no colored shoes, strappy sandals only), and jewelry. I am going to pay for their makeup as their gift. This seems to be going well for us...:-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh - and they decided that they did want to match!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    vjcjenn1vjcjenn1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a little bit harsh " I find it ridiculous that brides micromanage aspects of their wedding such as this", they don't have to be bridezilla to try and have a certain look to their wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That seems about average/normal.  I've paid btw 130-175 for BM dresses in the past.  My BM dresses were from DB and were 130.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, as PPs have said, I don't think that is too expensive at all.  In my experience so far, I really haven't found anything much cheaper than $150!  I think most David's dresses are around $120/$130 so it's really not that much of a price differential.  I want to stay around $150, too.  Love Dessy.  I'm actually a little bummed because the dress I'm dying for my BMs to wear is a Dessy (2758), but according to netbride it's $208 and I really wanted to keep it under $170.  Ugh.  So that's another thing you might want to try if you're looking at Dessy's, netbride.com has a bunch of BM dress lines for cheaper.  Just submit a free quote to get an approximated BM dress price. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I checked out Netbride and they priced it around 130, shipping around 20.  I gave them all the option of finding a dress with the same color and length.  Ultimately, they agreed upon one dress.  Sorry to offend about "micro-managing."  Of course I don't want the party to look sloppy, but I hardly think anyone is going to note if the bridal party's shoes are not identical.  This is certainly not what a wedding is about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards