Maryland-Baltimore

Need Rec's - Officiant, flowers, harpist, hair, HELP!

I have been dragging my feet on planning and next week will be 3 months left until the wedding and we have so much to do!  Would appreciate any rec's for the following:

- Officiant (We have yet to find someone to marry us.  I prefer a male but at this point I can't be picky) 

- Hair and Makeup (Need someone who will come to the hotel where we are getting married).  

- Invitations (I haven't even really looked at invitations - I do like the pocketfolds.  I am looking for an actual place to go and sit down with someone and do the invitations.  I don't think I can make this a DIY project or want to order online.  Too little time and too much stress.

- Harpist/Violinist needed for ceremony. 

- Cheap Flowers (Need stems, not actual arrangements) - I have a florist who is doing my flowers, ceremony, etc.  However, I am doing my centerpieces myself. 3 different sized cylinder vases with flowers submerged in water and topped with a floating candle.  I finally have all my vases and now need to know where I can buy flower stems (orchids) at a cheap price.  My florist quoted my $4 or $5 a stem and stated I would need a stem for each vase (36 vases). I am trying to find something a little cheaper.  I believe someone posted before about getting flower stems from a grocery store or sam's and that it was a really good price - can't remember. 

TIA!!!!!!!!

Re: Need Rec's - Officiant, flowers, harpist, hair, HELP!

• edited December 2011
    For hair, look at Baltimore Bridal Hair.  The prices aren't too bad and she'll come to you.

For flowers, what about Whole Foods or a local farmer's market?
    Vacation

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    Hi ajerome -

I don't know if you've seen me recommend her in the past but I loved my officiant, Laura Cannon.  She will let you make the ceremony whatever you want it to be and have complete control over things.  She was very personable, and completely made our ceremony a truly personal experience.  I have a full review of her in my bio.
    http://www.divinetransformation.com/

Have you looked at Allison Barnhill for invitations?  She is very talented.  I did my invitations myself, but if I would have went with someone, it would have been her.  She is located in Annapolis:
    http://www.allisonbarnhilldesigns.com/

I hope that helps.  Best of luck with everything else!
  • edited December 2011
    I second Rev. Laura.  She is wonderful and so professional and helpful. 

As far as hair goes, Jackie Messman from Bridal Hair Design--I think it's called;  she works at Headlines on Bel Air Road.  She is wonderful and does hair and makeup.  She is by herself, but she did 6 people in less then 4 hours and it looked gorgeous.

We got out invitations from Greetings and Readings in Timonium.  They turned out beautifully and it is a really neat store!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am at work so I can't really look at their websites right now.  But I def. will when I get a break or when I get home later tonight.

Whole foods - Can you preorder flowers?

Kimbrout - Did you have floating candles for sale?  I know I asked you about the pomanders but I think my granny is making them for us.  If the floating candles are still available let me know how many you have and how much you want for them and I could buy them from you this week. 

• Amy52582Amy52582 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Amie Decker for makeup.  She also has someone that does hair and they travel to you.  Their prices seem to be in line with others charge. 

For invites, I'm using http://www.sugarbloominvitations.com/. They have an actual store in Reisterstown.  I haven't started yet but I have family members that have used them and loved them. 

As for an officiant - I'm in the same boat as you! I'll be checking out your recommendations!
  • edited December 2011

Makeup/Hair - Amie Decker, Up Dos for I Dos, Nicole Palermo

Officiant - Father Aiken at Sacred Heart in Glyndon.  I have to say that we had a Cantor and a Priest (I'm Jewish, DH isn't).  They worked wonderfully together and are super open minded about life/religion...it was comforting.
    http://sacredheartofglyndonmd.org/

Invites - Kindly RSVP Designs - Rachel (who owns the company) is great and my best friend's roommate
    http://www.kindlyrsvpdesigns.com/

• edited December 2011
    Not sure about ordering ahead from WF.  I think I saw the rec somewhere on this board - I want to say Arbolita, so you may try paging or checking her bio?  I was going to go with WF and ended up finding a pick-your-own farmer's market closer to my venue, so I didn't really pursue it any further.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    I can recommend our officiant, Rev. Alberta Eaton (www.revalbertaeaton.com). She was great.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, you can pre-order flowers from Whole Foods.  We used the one in Annapolis - ask for Rose, she's fantastic.   For all of our bouquets, bouts and corsages using primarily white roses, the total was under $300

For our invitations I used http://www.alaunbydesign.com/

They aren't local, but for what we wanted they were affordable and everything turned out really nice. 
  • edited December 2011
    I still have those floating candles!  Email me at kimbrout at gmail dot com. 
  • edited December 2011
    Use gigmasters.com for the harpist/violinist....they send out your "request" and tons of artists respond to you....I found my string trio from there- Hill Chamber Music- check them out as well, they're based in Baltimore, I think they hire soloists! HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    For invitations we're most likely going to Preston's in Bel Air to check out what they have.  I've heard if you piece them together yourself it's pretty reasonable in price. 

I also liked some of the designs on mygatsby... my friend used them for her wedding in November and was very happy with their services.  

Have also heard good things about Allison Barnhill designs, but since she's in Annapolis and we're in Bel Air we prob will stick to something more local.

There's another girl that did my mom's friend's '07 wedding (pocketfold invites) and she does it our of her home in Perry Hall.  We might look into her too and if I can get her name I'll pass it on to you via email! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kimbrout - YGM. I def. want the candles!

Caroline - If you get the perry hall girl's information please let me know.  Perry Hall is right up the street from me.  Allison Barnhill - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the invites on her website.  I was thinking that Annapolis is a far drive for me as well but she might be worth it! lol. I just have a feeling that she is going to be pricey.  Also, I like kindly rspy designs.  I will prob stop by greetings and readings sometime this week because it's close by.

arbolita - i contaced WF today and they quoted me more than my florist did for the orchid stems.  I may try to use another flower that is a little cheaper.  That was a great price you got for your flowers!!!!

sk - those cupcakes look so GOOD!!! :)

smange - i checked out the website but couldn't find anything about weddings. Do you have to be a member of that church for them to marry you? 

Thanks everyone!!!!  
  • duffy723duffy723 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard great things about Sam's Club for flowers!!!!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    duffy - i was actually thinking about stopping up there tomorrow. thanks!
  • tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It might be a bit of a drive for you, but there's a floral wholesaler in Silver Spring that has awesome prices... I paid less than $500 for my flowers,enough to make 9 bouts, 3 corsages, my bouquet, the bridesmaid bouquets and 40 miniature arrngements for centerpieces.

http://www.flowerwholesale.com/

Hope this helps! If it's too far, I'm sure there's probably a floral wholesaler in/near Baltimore.
  • edited December 2011
    You do not have to be a memeber of the church to have Father Aiken marry you.  We made a donation to the church when all was said and done - he was very appreciative.  I would just give him a call or send him an email.  Please feel free to use my name (if you want)...tell him you heard about him from me.
  • flyingmillyflyingmilly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try Melissa at www.thecenterpieceplace.com for the flowers, it can't hurt to get a quote and I tend to find that she charges less than many florists.
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Sacred Heart in Glyndon in May and Father AIken is doing our ceremony. I didn't know he did ceremonies out of the church so that's great. He's done friends and other family members weddings and personally so far so good. 
    I have a friend who does makeup professionally. Unfortunately her site is down right now but I can email you her information if you would like. My email is vanessa_a83 at yahoo dot com

Good luck with getting your last details done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards