Maryland-Baltimore

I know we go over this a lot, but...

is this what I need to fill out for a name change?

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-154.pdf

Just take it to the MVA?  It seems too easy...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: I know we go over this a lot, but...

• edited December 2011
    Hopefully one of the marrieds will help you out, but I'm 99% sure that form is just to change your name with the MVA or maybe the whole state of Maryland.

I think you have to go to the Social Security office first and fill out a form there, I seem to recall everyone mentioning the Social Security office.  This may be way off base, but I think that has to be done before you can do any other name-changing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, this website says the order is a little different (sorry, I'm sure the formatting will get all screwy):

Changing Your Identification and Records

It is important to let friends, family, and your common contacts know that your name has changed. Generally, it is easiest to first change your name with the post office, then on your driver's license, and then with the Social Security Administration.

TIP: After you change your name, avoid confusion by using only your new name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, first you have to go to SSA to change your name - then you have to wait 24-48 hours for the change to register in their databases, then you can go to MVA.  I'm pretty sure that's the only form from MVA that I had to fill out.  I know SSA has a form on their site also.
  • edited December 2011
    From my experience - it's way easier than I had anticipated. 

You have to go to Social Security first.  There is a form on their website that you need to fill out.  If you do it ahead of time, it's way easier!  Bring that form and your marriage license and once you get up to the counter, it takes all of 5 minutes.  You have to wait 24-48 hours for the system to update before you go to the MVA.  At least that's what they told me.  So, I went to SS on Friday and the MVA on Monday.  I brought with me my marriage license and the letter from SS saying that my name was changed and was able to take care of the license thing right away.  After that, everything was super easy - credit cards, the bank....etc. 

Most places will ask to see a copy of the marriage license, but usually you can just make a photo copy of it - except for the MVA and SS (bring your original, they won't keep it).
  • ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am glad you posted this.

Married knotties - Did you take the original marriage license with you to S.S./M.V.A or a certified copy?  I picked up my marriage license last week and the lady was saying that I may need to take a certified copy of the license instead of the original to S.S?

• edited December 2011
    I just took the original that my cantor and priest both signed.  We never bothered getting a certified copy.  No one kept it - they just needed to see it and made copies themselves.
  • edited December 2011
    They actually recently changed the laws in Maryland so I believe now you need to wait until you actually receive your new SS card before the MVA will do anything.

Some places might let you through with just the letter from the MVA but I believe the law states you need the actual card.  Who knows.  Their site also says you need to go to a full service MVA but I went to an MVA express and had no issues.
  • ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    THANK YOU so much.  This has helped me a lot and made me feel a littlle less stressed.  :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards