Maryland-Baltimore

Betsy Robinson & other Salons

Anyone here get their dress there?
If not, where did you get your dress?
What was their process for paying for the dress & alterations?
I'm looking for a great place because I went somewhere a little sketchy the other day and wasn't a fan..
27 of 75 Books annnnnnd Wedding Inspiration
Sept. 2012 - Ceremony Venue!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Betsy Robinson & other Salons

• edited December 2011
    I didn't do BR, but I did Gamberdella's and highly recommend them.  You give them your budget and the feeling you're going for and they bring dresses in the room that fit the description.  They don't try to push you to go over your budget at all.  What I liked best about them was their alterations department/pricing - they didn't charge a billion dollars (I had heard some horror stories about other salons and their prices).

BR has a great reputation on this board, too.  If you can, I'd try to do both stores. 
  • LoveKissLoveKiss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at Betsey Robinson, but did not end up buying there. My BR experience was very nice. I went in on a weekday and practically had the salon to myself. The sales woman was very laidback and let me pull as many dresses as I wanted to. She even got one off of a manequin for me because she thought it would suit me well. If I had not fallen in love with my dress at another shop that same day, I would not have hgesitated to buy from BR.
  • edited December 2011
    Betsy Robinson is an amazing salon (selection and quality wise) but I didn't get my dress from there because they did not respect my price point and pulled many dresses above my 2k limit.  I even had Betsy herself as my sales lady and she seemed frustrated when I told her what I didn't like about certain dresses that she pulled.  I ended up getting my dress from Love Couture in potomac md (which is a hike) but I am very happy with the service so far.  
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress from Amanda Ritchey which now has opened a store in the Baltimore area (I got mine from the Fallston store).  You can google Amanda Ritchey and the website pops up.  They list what collections they carry on the website so you can see if there are any dresses you like prior to going.  I loved my experience with them.  The girls (at the Fallston store anyway) were very helpful.  Stupid me forgot to mention my budget but they didn't start grabbing the most expensive gowns, instead they went by what I wanted and saw myself in.  The owner of the store has also been a makeup artist for many years and offers makeup services as well.

• ohkkristaohkkrista member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I'm specifically looking for some Enzoani gowns, so I'll check those places to see if they carry the ones I'm looking for! :)
    27 of 75 Books annnnnnd Wedding Inspiration
    Sept. 2012 - Ceremony Venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm surprised at monica's experience; the ladies at BR didn't pull anything above my budget, and there were plenty of dresses in my price range.   The process sounds similar to what kimbrout described for Gamberdella's - you tell them your price range and what you're looking for, and they pull dresses for you.  I was also invited to look around the room that fit my price range (the dresses are divided into rooms by price) and ask them to pull anything that I was interested in trying on.  They were slow that day and I wound up going to the room with my consultant and seeing each dress before she pulled it, rather than waiting for her to bring them to my dressing room.

Since you asked about paying & alterations: I had to pay 60% down the day I bought my dress, and the remainder before getting alterations.  I think the deadline was 30 days before the wedding, but I paid the balance when I went on a 'gown visit' after my dress came in.  As for alterations, they recommended that I come in 6-8 weeks before the wedding for my first fitting, and a week before the wedding for my final fitting.  They said that for more complex alterations they sometimes add in a third fitting at 2-3 weeks and/or have people start coming in earlier.  My alterations were pretty simple, so they were inexpensive - I'm not sure how their prices compare for more complicated alterations.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to BR, Bridals by Elena, and Bridal Boutique.  All carry the designer I like, and all tried hard to sell me the dress.  I actually just went back to BR last night and purchased the dress.  Bridals by Elena would have been my second choice, but they tacked on a delivery fee which actually made them more expensive.  My first experience at BR was perfect!  Last night the lady who worked with me was not very exciting though.  She didn't really help me out with my decision and sizing at all.  In fat just this AM I called and told them to hold on placing the order because I was second guessing the size and color I went with...  long story why, but the lady last night just wasn't helpful.  Otherwise however, I am very happy I chose BR. 
  • edited December 2011
    I just bought my dress from Betsy Robinson this weekend. My consultant was Maria and she was by far the best consultant I have had after shopping at several stores. She was VERY respectful of our budget, even when my mom and I wanted to try on a dress over budget, she made sure we knew and that it was OK before we brought it in. She was polite and kind and not invasive. She made my mom feel like an integral part while still making me the focus.

She was great with sizing and measurements and weighing my preferences with her expertise. I am very pleased so far

When you order your dress they will ask for a 55% deposit with the rest due upon delivery. I was told that alterations range between $200 and $400 depending on what is done. At least this is what they asked of me.

Also, I purchased a brand new Enxoani dress that they just got in. Already the fall 2011 collection too. I am very pleased.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards